Chapter 5

When Keith woke up the next day, it was to a series of quick knocks on his door. "Hey, buddy. You feeling any better today?"

SHOOT! He immediately hopped out of bed and ran into the bathroom. He had completely forgotten that Shiro had promised to check in on him before breakfast.

"Uh yeah... I'm ok... just... give me a second!"

Shiro stared at the door in confusion. Keith certainly sounded like he felt better. But he also sounded... strange... "Ok... no rush. I'll just wait out here."

Keith let out a sigh when Shiro said he wasn't coming in. He quickly changed clothes before setting to work on his hair. He could hear Shiro's foot-tapping from in here, so he knew he had to be quick. He grabbed his hair gel and began to smooth out his hair, making sure to pay extra attention to the strands near his ears. Once he was satisfied with the result, he walked out the door and was greeted by his friend.

Shiro gave him a once-over. "Good to see you up and about. How are you feeling?"

"A lot better. Thanks."

"Any ideas of what happened?" he asked as they started walking towards the dining room.

He shrugged, "Not sure... probably just stress."

Shiro frowned a bit, "Are you stressed about something?"

Keith chewed his lip, he wanted to tell him so bad. But... "No... just... in general stuff. The war and everything."

Shiro stopped them before they walked in. "Keith, if there's something you're not telling me... something you're worried about... I can help you. I want to help you."

"There's nothing wrong..." he can't meet his eyes, "I promise..."

Shiro looked him over once more, trying to find some clue as to why he was acting so strangely. "Ok... well, let's get in there before Lance eats all the pancakes."

"Hunk made pancakes?" Keith said in surprise.

"Yeah," Shiro smiled, "he asked me what your favorite breakfast food was. He said that the last time we were at the space mall he picked up some pancake mix. He'd been saving it for a special occasion and figured this was a good enough time since you weren't feeling good."

Keith's eyes widened as they walked inside. "Wow..."

"Hey, Keith's back!"

"Hello Keith, are you feeling better?"

"What's up mullet? You done dying on us?"

Keith quietly walked over to Hunk who was smiling at him. "Hey, Keith. I hope you're feeling better. Shiro said you liked pancakes, so I decided to make you some."

Keith gently leaned in and hugged Hunk. He wasn't normally the one to initiate contact, but he also didn't normally have someone who made him a special breakfast, just because he wasn't feeling good. "Thank you..."

"No sweat man! Just glad to see you're feeling better." He gave him a big grin before they all sat down and began eating.

"Wow Hunk, these cakes made of pan are delicious!" they all laughed, "What, did I say something wrong."

"They're called pancakes because you make them in a pan." Pidge corrected. "Not because they are made of pans."

"Oh, I see..." Allura inspected her pancakes as if still trying to find miniature pans inside.

"So, what are the plans for today?" Keith asked.

"I figured we would do some training," Shiro responded. "We haven't gotten any word from the Blades about a planet that needs liberating, so all we can really do is wait. That is, assuming you are feeling up to it Keith."

"Don't worry, I'm fine." He assured, and that really wasn't a lie. Every sense he had woken up this morning, he had surprisingly felt really good, and he wasn't quite sure why. Maybe since he had stayed in bed all day yesterday, he was more well-rested.

"Alright then, as soon as everyone is finished eating, we will head off to the training room." 

(A/N - Hey guys! Thanks for reading. Hope you like it so far. :) When I say Vol, you say...)