𝘥𝘳𝘦𝘢𝘮𝘴 𝘤𝘰𝘮𝘦 𝘵𝘳𝘶𝘦

"Meimei. I said wake up, birthday girl." Leave it to me to be jetlagged on my birthday with SuA as my roommate. I'm not sure that I – or any other sane person who would like to keep their hearing intact, for that matter – would call that good luck.

"Five more minutes," I groaned. "Please."

"No can do," SuA stated simply. "Come on, we've got a plane to catch."

I only opened my eyes and clamored out of bed because I knew that just because it was my birthday did not mean that SuA wouldn't drag me onto the floor by my ponytail if I was being too slow.

"SURPRISE!"

"Oh, good Lord." My sentence came out in fluent English as I was suddenly greeted by six grinning faces, as well as SuA, popping out from behind various pieces of furniture around the hotel room, and I promptly stumbled backwards right back onto my bed.

"Happy birthday, Meiling!" JiU called first, and the rest of the girls chorused "Happy birthday, Meimei," and "Happy birthday, unnie," right after her.

"Thanks, you idiots," I chuckled, placing my hand over my heart. "I'm awake now, so come give me a hug."

My members, apparently, needed no further prompting. SuA, since she was already standing next to me, was the first to tackle me flat onto the bed, then JiU, Yoohyeon, Gahyeon, Dami, Handong, and finally Siyeon joined the pile until I was pretty sure that I heard the wooden bed frame acquire a good-size crack. Thankfully, they only stayed like that for a moment.

"Alright, Mei, since it took you so long to get up, SuA is right," JiU chuckled. "We have to hurry now and eat our breakfast before our flight."

Our tour has been going amazingly so far. I'm especially looking forward to visiting my parents between the San Francisco and Los Angeles stops coming up soon.

"But first," JiU continued, stopping me from getting up, "I think that a special occasion deserves a special treat, don't you?" she asked, looking at all the members, who nodded knowingly. I sighed, trying and ultimately failing to keep an anticipatory grin off of my face.

Dami, quiet as ever, probably thought that I hadn't noticed her sneak out of the room and fetch something from the hallway. I let her have the satisfaction of thinking that she surprised me, which she definitely partially did. SuA hit the light switch as Dami lit the candles on a giant stack of waffles, and my jaw dropped as I realized that it had enough sugary toppings on it to make an elephant diabetic.

"Whoa," I laughed as she brought it closer, and the girls began singing the happy birthday song. With just the seven of them, their voices harmonized sweetly. It felt like something that we should have recorded professionally.

I clasped my hands and closed my eyes in front of the stack of waffles – although not before staring hungrily at the mountain of whipped cream on top – and thought long and hard.

I wish to stay like this forever, happily and healthily with my members who are my second family and with Insomnias who are my world.

It was the one that I made every year, but they say that old is gold. But after I opened my eyes and blew out the candles, the first thing that I saw was Dami smiling softly at me, surrounded by my six other soulmates who were by my side as we traveled the globe to meet our cherished fans, and I immediately knew that my wish had already come true.