01 . summer bummer

"think of it as a last hoo-rah before college!" my mom explained, trying to justify her reasoning for signing me up as a camp counselor at a summer camp

"think of it as a last hoo-rah before college!" my mom explained, trying to justify her reasoning for signing me up as a camp counselor at a summer camp. more specifically a church camp. my family wasn't very religious, in-fact they considered themselves atheist but my mother, who's name was tiffany, wanted to try to straighten me out a bit. after prom night and rehab, she's been doing every thing she can to 'fix me.'

"i don't even wanna go to that stupid fucking college." i sighed, leaning against the car window. all there was, was fields, fields, more fields and occasionally a small farm.

"hey, watch your mouth. you'll love college. i had the best time of my life there, you know that's where i met your father." she smiled a bit, i know she's trying her best.

"and look how that turned out." i muttered, i knew she could hear me even if i didn't want her to. it had been three years since she and my dad, who's name was owen, had gotten a divorce. he had been cheating on her since the beginning of there marriage with his secretary and she finally had enough of it.

"ok, i know how you feel about that. but camp isaiah is fun, trust me. the brochure said there was kayaking. and plus paisleys mom signed her up again, right?" i just shook my head. paisley hated it here, her dad made her attend ever since she was old enough to go. the best part of it is she met her boyfriend, ashton here.

we pulled up to the entrance, a big log sign that read, 'camp isaiah welcomes you!' this is gonna suck ass. my mom looked over to me and gave me a small smile, "i love you lots, you'll have a blast ok?" she gave me a small hug before i grabbed my duffel bag and backpack from the trunk and walked up to the main building.

i walked in, it was filled with teens. these must all be the counselors. i sifted through the small crowd trying to find paisley, she was all the way across the room with ashton, and another boy with spikey blond hair and a lip ring.

"moxie! you finally made it." she ran up to me swallowing me in a giant hug. "this is luke, and you already know ashton." luke pursed his lips and gave a small wave, and ash flashed a smile.

"this place smells like ass." i whispered to her, not wanting any of the five adults in the room to hear. "yeah i know, half the kids in here don't know what deodorant is." she laughed before pulling me down of the bench. one of the adults stood on a stool with a mic and began to announce, "hello isaiah counselors! we are very grateful to have you all here for this lovely summer!" the lady speaking was wearing a red polo and khaki shorts, her short blond hair was pulled into a very tight pony tail.

"my name is anne and i am one of the camp owners. the kids are already in there cabins and you will all have separate ones from them. your job is to lead them through prayer every day at 7 am, 3 pm, and 9 pm. you also will be responsible for your assigned campers whereabouts during the day. your cabin number and name is up on the wall to the left, go take a look and run off to them! meet back here at 3 pm for a sermon and prayer!" she jumped off the stool.

we all started pushing our way towards the board, my mom made sure i had a cabin with paisley when she signed me up over the phone so I wasn't suprised to see her name on the list. there was also ashton, luke, and michael clifford. who the hell was michael clifford?