Chapter 9: Changes

Start from the beginning

A question popped up. "George, what happened to the humans in the experiment?"

George suddenly froze and his expression became unreadable. "A rabies-infected animal is already dead. No matter the species." George said quietly. Silent fell between them. It couldn't possible mean what he thought it meant, right?

Yet, something told Dream that it meant exactly what he thought it meant.

Just as Dream was about to answer, a loud sound rang through the basement as the door flung open. Both George and Dream tried to protest as Techno, Sapnap and a third guy opened the door to the cell. A sharp pain and Dream felt himself fading away.

------------------

Both George and Dream woke up upstairs, tied to chairs. Schlatt was there, accompanied by Sapnap, Techno, and two of Schlatt's bodyguards. Dream thought that it was all of them, but a fourth masked man pushed a terrified man in to the room.

"Please don't hurt me again!" The man pleaded. Schlatt gave the man a menacing smile.

"Don't worry, professor. You'll remain unharmed, as long as you cooperate."

Schlatt's attention then shifted to George, who seemed just as terrified. "Ah, everyone's favorite experiment is awake. You must be an extraordinary lab rat if your dad put a reward of one million dollar to the person who could find you." Schlatt said scornfully. Dream saw the change in George's expression at the condescending treatment. Rage filled every fiber of Dream's body. He would gladly have strangled Schlatt right now.

"What do you want from me?" George said weakly.

"Good question. You see, you and I share, or rather shared, a mutual trait; Germline p53 gene." George's eyes widened in surprise.

So, that was Schlatt's motive, he was dying.

"You're a smart kid. So, I'm assuming that you already know that this gene  most of the time leads to cancer. However, you're one of the few people who have found a way around the inevitable faith that awaits the rest of us." Schlatt paused and took ahold of George's jaw, forcing the brunette to look at him. "Sharing is caring, don't you agree?" Dream saw the defiance in the mismatching eyes. Although, he wasn't the only one to notice it. Schlatt's expression hardened.

"Fine. I see that your dad never taught you manners. Good thing we have Clay here. He might be able to change your mind." Schlatt nodded to Techno who seemed to know straight away what the man wanted.

Dream felt a strong grip around his jaw, forcing his head backwards, exposing his neck. Cold metal pressed lightly against his skin.

Dream saw the panic in George's eyes. "Please, Don't hurt him. He has nothing to do with this mess." Schlatt laughed at George's statement. "Oh, you sure are naïve. He has everything to do with this."

Fuck. Was this the moment that Schlatt would expose Dream's true intention. George gave him a quick confused look before turning back to Schlatt.

"What do you want from me? I'm not my dad!" George said in a high pitch voice, filled with panic.

"I want... your blood."

"Fine, take it! Just don't hurt Clay." George begged. Schlatt nodded approvingly. "See, that wasn't so difficult."

One of the masked men lifted the poor professor from the floor and dragged him closer to George and Schlatt.

"How long will it take you to make a viral vector from the boy's blood." The man shivered in fear.

"15 minutes maybe. But there's a high chance that there will be side-effects." Schlatt just ignored the warning.

"Perfect. Get to work right away."

A bunch of medical supplies covered the kitchen counter. The process began.

Techno's knife didn't leave Dream's throat for a second. His neck and wrists were aching from the restrain. Although the pain disappeared when Schlatt started talking again.

"So, George. How does it feel to have developed Stockholm syndrome?" Schlatt asked completely casually. Dream's heart started racing.

George furrowed his brows. "What do you mean?" Schlatt grinned. "You seem really fond of your cellmate." George glanced at Dream, but he couldn't face the brunette.

"What's that supposed to mean?" George asked slowly. Schlatt let out a horrible laugh.

"How naïve. Good job, Dream, ever thought about becoming an actor."

"Dream?" George questioned.

Fuck. Fuck. Fuck. Not now.

"Oh, sorry. I mean Clay. I'm disappointed George, I thought you would've figured out who made sure that you ended up here in the first place. Also, you never questioned what happened to the guy with a smiley mask?"

George beautiful eyes turned to stare at Dream. "Clay?"

"George it's not what you're think –" But a hand covered his mouth before Dream could finish his sentence. Betrayal shone from George's eyes.

"You see George. Clay here was sent to befriend you and later bring you here. He was never your friend. Isn't that right, Dream?" The hand covering his mouth made him unable to answer. George's eyes were blank, tears threating to spill.

"It's done." The professor interrupted.

"Good." Was Schlatt's only response.

The professor held up a weird-looking machine. "I'll need to chock you with this one to damage your cells so that the vector can penetrate into the cells core."

Schlatt smirked. "Perfect! Though, considering the side effects... I think it more suiting if someone else goes first." The room fell silent until Schlatt looked at Dream.

"Dream, you wouldn't mind being a candidate. Right?" Fear overtook his mind as Schlatt indicated for the professor to approach Dream. He tried to escape Techno's grip. But the restrains around his wrist in combination with the knife against his throat complicated things.

Everything happened so fast after that. A wave of electricity rushed through his body and the next thing he knew, he felt something being injected into his arm.

Another dose of sedative was put into his body and Dream fell unconscious.