Is Two Too Early?

Perhaps two may be too early for your child. There are several reasons this may be so. Is there added stress in your home? A recent move, death or separation? If so I suggest you wait until things are more settled in your home before you start your week of training. Did you recently have a baby or are you about to have another in the near future? If so, your two year old may regress for a time. They may want to be the baby too.

When I would change our newborn Courtney's diaper our 19 month old Jessi would lay down and say, "Mama change my biper." Therefore I recommend waiting at least a month after the birth of a new baby. Give it enough time for the newness of the sibling to wear off. Plus you want this to be a special time for you and your trainee. A time when they get all the needed attention.

Another reason for delaying potty training would be if your child shows no interest in pee pee, poo poo, potties... The whole messy business! You should know this before beginning your training week. A few months before you begin, order some books especially for toddlers on the subject. Go to the library and let them pick out a few they like. There are so many adorable books and videos to choose from. *Once Upon A Potty has been our absolute favorite for years. CJ must have seen the video a hundred times! Courtney carried the book around with her until the cover wore off.

Pre Training is very important in piquing your child's interest. Another way to easily peek interest is if you have older children. Your toddler will see their older siblings doing it and it will seem like fun (especially the flushing part!) Younger children usually idolize their older siblings and want to emulate everything they do.

With our first child my husband talked me into using the wee little child's potty. I got stuck and don't recommend this! If you don't have an older trained child maybe a cousin could come over (pre training week) and show your toddler how it's done!

I must reiterate it is of the utmost importance that you do NOT start too early. If you do your week of training may turn into frustrated months. Diapers and disposable training pants are very expensive.

*Once Upon A Potty by Alona Frankel. Barron's Educational Series, Inc.