13

Hey everyone! I know it's been a year since I've updated this story, but I am fully intending on finishing this story. I appreciate all the love and support and sticking with me!

"Hey!" A small voice shrills, pulling my eyes away from the violent seas. A frown is settled on my lips, changing the girls attitude. "Hey."

I sniff, wiping my nose with the sleeve of my shirt. "What is it?"

"I know you've been really sad since the funeral. I just thought you would want a friend" Suki gives a small smile.

"I don't know.."

"Our moms were close friends, so maybe we can be too" she sighs, looking out at the horizon, tone soft. "I know how sad I was when my mom died."

My hands grip the sand. How could I be so selfish? Suki lost her mom way younger than me. Her hand rests on mine softly.

"It's okay Euna. You can be sad."

"Euna!!"

I jerk my head up, making eye contact with the young Avatar. "Hey I'm sorry to wake you, but we're taking a pit stop!" he smiles, flipping easily onto the ground.

I sit up in the bison, Appa's saddle, a frown settling on my lips. "I think I'm fine staying in the saddle, water and earth don't really mix" I try to laugh off the situation.

"I feel that" Sokka chuckles "whenever they practice their magic water I always end up soaked." He motions for a little setup just off the shore under the trees. Settling, Sokka asks, "why did you leave the island, and Suki?"

I sigh, pulling my legs to my chest. "I failed to protect my home from a few firebenders. What happens when a whole fleet of ships come?"

Sokka kicks a rock with his foot. "When the Fire Nation invaded the Southern Water Tribe to find waterbenders, I couldn't protect the village. Or my mother."

I frown. How much must this war steal? Like Suki tried to tell me I can't always be so hard on myself. I cannot blame every misfortune on the lack of my own abilities.

"I'm so sorry, Sokka."

"It's okay. Just another reason to help Aang defeat the Fire Lord."

"I lost my mother too. Her and my father worked on a fishing charter. Fire Nation were worried it was a war ship."

"We're going to defeat the Fire Lord. Stop this awful war" he smiles. Suddenly a wave of water slams down over Sokka and I. Rock encases my feet, anchoring me to the earth. It was short lived, but enough to get my heart pounding.

"Great." Sokka groans, squeezing the water from his shirt. "You sent all our supplies down the river.

Aang shrugs with a smile. "Guess we need to go shopping."

"Good thing I didn't leave home unprepared" I smile, grabbing my bag and holding up the bag of coins. "Let's do some shopping."