Cassie nodded. "Sounds perfect."

***

When Saturday evening finally rolled around, Cassie made the short trek to Jenny's for her date. She had taken great care to pick out a good-looking outfit, as well as to do her hair and makeup just right. She had settled on dark grey jeans, a black sweater, and long black boots. Her long hair was in loose curls and her makeup was natural yet lovely.

As she waited for Johnathan to join her just outside of Jenny's, her heart began to pound in her chest. She hoped that he would show up despite the fact that she had turned him down previously. Or would he end up standing her up outside the diner?

I can't think like that, she thought. He's definitely gonna show up...right?

"Hey."

Cassie spun around to find Johnathan standing right behind her. He was wearing dark blue jeans, a black-and-white plaid shirt, and black-and-red Nike sneakers. He also wore a huge smile on his face.

Don't be nervous, Cassie told herself. There's no need to be nervous.

"Hey, there," she greeted while they shared a hug.

"You look gorgeous."

"Thanks! You look good too."

"Oh, thanks. After you."

Cassie entered the door Johnathan had opened for her. They were seated at a booth, where they placed their drink orders a moment later.

"Thanks again for tonight," Cassie said once their server left. She opted not to apologize again for turning Johnathan down. There was no need for her to repeat herself.

"Of course," Johnathan replied.

"I don't think I've ever asked you this," Cassie began, "but are you from New York?"

Johnathan nodded. "I'm not from NYC, though. I'm from Albany, which is about three hours from here. How 'bout you?"

"I'm from Buffalo; born and raised."

"Oh, cool! Yeah, I've lived in Albany with my dad all my life."

Cassie frowned softly but didn't ask any questions. She didn't want to stick her nose somewhere it didn't belong.

"My mom died when I was nine," Johnathan revealed out of the blue. "She was hit and killed by a drunk driver while driving home from work. My dad never bothered to remarry."

The admission left Cassie breathless. "Oh my God, I'm so sorry. I kinda know what it's like to not have a mom."

Johnathan raised his eyebrows. "You do?"

"My mom left my dad and me when I was seven years old," Cassie confessed. "I didn't see her again 'til I was in high school. And even then, I've barely seen her since. I know she's alive, so I guess it's technically not the same thing as what you went through. But I hardly had a mom growing up, which hurt."

"That's awful," Johnathan said in a pained voice. "I'm so sorry."

Cassie nodded with a half-hearted grin. "Thanks."

Johnathan reached over and grabbed her hand, which had been resting on the table. Cassie's grin grew at the physical contact. It had been so long since a guy had touched her deep inside like that. Butterflies began to fly about within her stomach.

Their server arrived a moment later to take their dinner order. Johnathan's hand left hers, but the butterflies didn't go away.

"So, what drew you to attend NYU?" she asked, hoping to change the subject to something far lighter.