"I've been busy doing the streaming thing still. It's how I make extra cash," Johnathan said with a chuckle.

Cassie nodded. She knew that Johnathan was a part-time video game streamer, but had never watched any of his streams. Video games weren't something she was interested in. That being said, she didn't have any issues with his source of income.

"At least you seem to enjoy it," she remarked, unsure of how else to respond.

"It's fun!" Johnathan exclaimed. "I like studying psychology, don't get me wrong. But if I had to choose between working in that field or streaming full-time, I'd pick streaming, for sure. I'm already looking into ways to make that happen, if possible. We'll see what happens."

"That's an ambitious goal."

"Yeah, but they usually are. I think having a goal of any kind is ambitious when you think about it."

Cassie raised her eyebrows. "I suppose that's one way to think."

Johnathan chuckled. "Thanks, I try."

Over an hour later, the two college students had finished their respective assignments and had left The Bean's Knees. The icy weather hit them both, causing Cassie to shiver. She bundled her coat close to her face in a feeble attempt to warm up.

"I'm just heading home," she revealed.

Johnathan checked the time on his phone. "I...have nowhere I need to be, actually. Want me to walk you home?"

Cassie found herself blushing again. "Uh...I'm good, thanks. I should get going, I...I promised my roommate I'd be home right about now."

"Oh, okay. Hope to see you soon!"

Once they went their separate ways, Cassie's head began to spin and her face heated up. She wasn't dumb; she knew that Johnathan was still flirting with her after all this time. He hadn't said or done anything too crazy or crossed a line— yet. But that didn't mean that that wouldn't change in the near future. That could still happen in time.

Cassie thought back to when she had broken up with Isaac near the end of their first year of college. She had gone on a short string of dates in a stupid attempt to hurt her ex-boyfriend at the time. All she wanted was to hurt him and make him jealous in the hopes of convincing him to be his girlfriend again. The results of engaging in this left her unfulfilled, though the rush she got fueled her desire to get back at Isaac for dumping her in the first place.

During their second year of college, Cassie had one goal in mind— to win Isaac back. But by early spring, she had come to realize that it wasn't going to happen; he had moved on with Lexi. But Cassie still didn't date anyone even after that realization hit her. As a matter of fact, she hadn't dated or flirted with another guy since her spiteful bit of revenge dating.

Now that Johnathan had been flirting with her off and on this year, Cassie didn't know what to think about it. On one hand, it felt nice to get such attention from a nice and good-looking guy— especially one that she had known for some time. Yet, on the other hand, it felt strange to receive said attention in the first place. It had been so long since anyone had hit on her that she had forgotten how to respond to it.

I shouldn't have dismissed Johnathan's offer to walk me home, she thought while continuing to walk home. I know he means well, and he's never been a jerk. But why is he even interested in me? God, this feels so stupid. I shouldn't act this way to someone who's flirting with me!

Those thoughts stuck with her as Cassie entered her apartment. She entered to find Mariana in the kitchen, looking through the refrigerator.

"Hey, Cassie! How are things?"