I'm gonna keep working there until it becomes too much juggle that and being a writer, she decided. I'll know when the time is right to take the plunge.

The life-changing news made celebrating her 22nd birthday all the sweeter, as Lexi just so happened to sign the contract on the same day as her birthday. While it was a joyous occasion, the day happened to be a super busy one also. She had already attended class before visiting Mandy's office, so that wasn't a concern. But she still had a couple of papers to complete before the week ended.

She had hoped to spend time with Isaac today, but that wasn't going to happen. When he had texted her to wish her a happy birthday that morning, he also broke the news about needing to focus on school this week. He had a group project to finish by Friday, as well as complete a few other assignments and readings. So, there would be no date night to celebrate the occasion this year.

Lexi arrived at her apartment to change into comfy clothes. To her surprise, Nikita was home and was standing in the kitchen with a big smile on her face.

"Isaac had these delivered here about an hour ago," she revealed, gesturing to a large rectangle box sitting on the counter. It was white and had cobalt blue writing on it. A logo of a dolphin diving into a white donut completed the unopened package.

"What is it?" Lexi asked as she ripped off her shoes.

"They're donuts from Lady Grace's Donut Dive!" Nikita exclaimed. "I haven't opened them, don't worry. Happy birthday, by the way!"

"Thanks," Lexi replied as she opened the box. Six different flavours sat inside— apple fritter, cookies and cream, double chocolate, peanut butter and jelly, red velvet, and vanilla sprinkle.

"I won't eat all of them," she said while examining the donuts. She then glanced at Nikita. "Will you eat some?"

Nikita nodded. "Definitely. I'll eat whatever you don't want."

Lexi promptly claimed half of the donuts— cookies and cream, double chocolate, and red velvet. She put the red velvet one on a plate to eat right now. She also sent a brief thank-you text to Isaac.

"I gotta go to class now, so I'll see you later," Nikita said while scarfing down the apple fritter. "Tell Isaac I said thanks!"

"Will do!" Lexi called out before finally retiring to her bedroom to change and do schoolwork.

***

Lexi was still riding high a couple of days after signing her publishing contract. She was doing homework at The Bean's Knees in between classes, but that hadn't dimmed her mood one bit. It was all she could think about— the fact that she was going to become a published author. Even if the release date Mandy had given didn't work out for whatever reason, her book was still getting published either way.

"Hey, Lexi."

Her exciting thoughts dashed away when she heard a familiar female voice. She glanced up from her laptop to find Cassie standing near her table.

"Oh, hey," she greeted in a flat voice. "What's up?"

"Not much," Cassie replied with a nod. "Do you mind if I work here, please? All the other tables are either taken or dirty as hell."

Lexi scanned the bustling coffee shop, only to quickly realize that Cassie wasn't lying. It was surprisingly busy for a Wednesday afternoon.

I really don't want to sit with Cassie, Lexi thought, but I don't want to be a bitch either.

She bit back a sigh and gestured to the empty chair in front of her. "Sure."

"Thank you," Cassie said before taking the unclaimed seat.