I honestly wasn't sure if it would, Lexi thought, but she didn't dare say that out loud. "I'm so happy. Thank you so, so much for your help, Mandy. I really couldn't have done it without you."

"Aww, you're so sweet! I gotta go, but we'll talk soon."

Once the call ended a few minutes later, Lexi rested her petite frame against the building she had had her class in before the life-changing news. Her head kept spinning and tears continued to stain her face.

Holy fuck, I did it! I DID IT! I'm going to be a published author! I can't believe this is happening!!!

Lexi went so far as to pinch her wrist, thinking that perhaps it was all a twisted dream. But it wasn't— it was real. She was going to achieve her dream of becoming a published author.

After taking in the news, she made a note on her phone to buy Mandy a small gift as a thank you for all her hard work. Then she texted Isaac.

Lexi: OMG I can't believe this is happening to me

Isaac: What???

Lexi: My manuscript's being published

God, even typing that doesn't feel real, she thought, laughing to herself. Will it ever sink in?

She snapped out of her thoughts upon hearing her phone ring. She smiled while answering, still tearing up in the process.

"Hey, babe."

"Hey, I just got your text," Isaac said in a rush. "You're getting published??"

"I'm actually getting published," Lexi confirmed with a surprised laugh. "I wouldn't joke about this."

"Lexi, that's fantastic news!" Isaac exclaimed. His voice was so loud that Lexi had to pull the phone away from her ear momentarily.

"I can't believe it's finally happening— and before we've even graduated, no less!" she remarked in awe. "I can't stop shaking or crying from shock."

"You fucking deserve this, okay? I'm so proud of you."

Lexi grinned as she heard the smile in his voice. "Thank you, Isaac. It really means a lot."

"We need to celebrate tonight! Come over to my place, and we'll order whatever food you want. I'll get a bottle of wine too."

"Now that sounds nice. When should I drop by?"

"Whenever you'd like."

Lexi raised her eyebrows, having not expected that answer. "Christ, I'm not even home yet myself. I'm still on campus." She paused to check the time. "I'll be there within the hour, okay?"

"Sounds good. I can't wait to see you, babe."

Once that call ended a few minutes later, Lexi rushed home despite the bitter cold that enveloped New York City. Recent freezing rain left the sidewalks icy and hard to maneuver, but Lexi paid little mind to the current weather conditions. She hustled to her apartment, where she packed up a tote to stay at Isaac's overnight. She also took off her makeup, which was now ruined from crying so much. But she didn't care about that one bit as she quickly got everything sorted to head to Isaac's apartment.

She arrived at her destination shortly after four PM. She smiled upon seeing Isaac's cheerful expression.

"Hey there, Miss Next Big Thing," he greeted with a chuckle.

Lexi rolled her eyes and snickered. "Didn't think I'd ever get that kind of nickname."

"Sorry, I didn't resist," Isaac laughed.