Mariana inched closer to her best friend. "Look, I'm not gonna make you go if you don't want to. But I think catching up with our friends— DeShawn, Felipe, and Nikita— would be good for you. No one's saying you have to talk to Lexi or Isaac. It may be awkward at first, but I think some of them will be happy to see you. And if you wanna leave early, that's okay. I promise."

Cassie absorbed her words slowly. She did miss chatting to DeShawn and Felipe— they had always treated her with kindness, and she hadn't spoken to them since her break-up with Isaac freshman year. She wasn't close to Nikita like Mariana was, but she was still nice enough. Then again, the last time they had exchanged words had been anything but pleasant. But making amends was something Cassie had promised to do this year. Running from her old friends wasn't an option anymore.

"Fine, I'll go."

"Wait— really? You don't have to if you don't want to."

"I know, but I need to go. But if things go bad, I'm outta there. I'm sorry, but I don't want to create any more drama."

Mariana nodded. "I understand."

The two women shared a hug before moving on to figure out what to have for dinner. Yet even as they continued to hang out well into the evening, Cassie couldn't fully relax. Her mind kept drifting back to the prospect of hanging out with her old friends. She wanted to see them so badly, but also didn't want to upset any of them with her presence. The last thing she wanted was to create even more drama than she already had during her time at New York University.

But If I don't go, I know I'm gonna regret it, she thought. I need to do it.

Cassie bit her lip before focusing back on her conversation with Mariana. She needed a distraction to try and not think about tomorrow.

***

It was still freezing cold and snowy outside when Cassie and Mariana left their apartment the following afternoon. That alone made Cassie want to cancel and not go anywhere. But she decided against changing her mind even as her heart continued to beat faster and faster. It was nearly pounding by the time she approached her favourite coffee shop.

Mariana stopped a foot or so from the café, causing Cassie to stop as well. "Are you okay?"

"I'm fine," Cassie lied.

But Mariana wasn't convinced. "You're nervous."

Cassie huffed. "Can you blame me?"

"I'm sorry, I'm not trying to upset you."

"You're not upsetting me, I swear. I'm just an anxious mess."

Mariana nodded before giving her best friend's shoulder a gentle squeeze. "You can do it."

Cassie took a deep breath and exhaled in a shaky manner. "You're right. Let's go."

The two women entered The Bean's Knees to see that it was moderately busy. It wasn't dead quiet, but it also wasn't a total zoo. They got in the small line-up to place their orders.

"Do you see the others?" Cassie asked as they waited for their food and drinks.

Mariana glanced around the café before waving at someone. "I see them now."

"Do they know I'm coming?"

"No, I didn't mention it."

Cassie groaned and bit her lip. "Oh, God."

"If I did, I guarantee you Lexi and Isaac wouldn't have come," Mariana pointed out. "Come on, you got this."

Despite hesitation building in her stomach, Cassie decided to tough it out anyway. She had already come this far, so why back out now?