31. Become Aware of Your Own Mortality

As men, we must become intimately aware of our own mortality.

I believe that Marcus Aurelius may have said it best in The Emperor's Handbook:

Your days are numbered. Use them to throw open the windows of your soul to the sun. If you do not, the sun will soon set, and you with it.

So many men live like they are going to live forever.

But the problem with this mindset is that it undermines the pressing need to understand that your days are numbered-and that you only have a certain amount of time to contribute to the world and leave a lasting legacy.

One of the greatest truths that you need to understand about life as a man is that the point of our existence is the journey.

In fact, Thomas Bernhard clarifies this incredibly well in his book Concrete:

Whatever condition we are in, we must always do what we want to do, and if we want to go on a journey, then we must do so and not worry about our condition, even if it's the worst possible condition, because, if it is, we're finished anyway, whether we go on the journey or not, and it's better to die having made the journey we've been longing for than to be stifled by our longing.

In other words-if we wait for life to become perfect before we make our move, we'll probably die before it happens.

So the key, men, is to act now to leave our mark upon the world.

Our lives will only last so long-and understanding this provides us with a unique perspective.

We know we're not getting out alive. So at the end of the day, there's truly nothing to fear.