- seven -

Minutes later Karina was opening the passenger side door for Winter, who crawled out excitedly and began walking in the opposite direction of the store. Shaking her head, Karina ran after her and grabbed her hand.

"This way," Karina laughed. Winter held onto her hand tightly, skipping behind Karina with an excited smile on her face. Karina led them both into the store, ignoring the confused stares from the other customers when Winter continued to skip once they were inside.

Karina grabbed two of the bowls from the counter and handed one to Winter. "Do you know how to do this?"

Winter looked at her blankly and Karina sighed. "Here, I'll show you," she led Winter, who was still holding her hand, over to the wall of the self-serve yogurt.

"These are the flavours," she nodded to the pictures at the top of the machines. Winter nodded and studied each one intently. Karina let go of her hand so she could hold her bowl underneath the machine that dispensed cookies & cream flavoured yogurt.

"See, you just pull the lever and—," Karina paused when she turned around and saw Winter already filling up her cup with banana flavoured frozen yogurt. She ran over and stopped the lever just before Winter's cup overflowed.

"That's enough for now," Karina laughed. Winter pouted.

"Again," she pointed to the machine, going to fill up her cup even more. Karina shook her head quickly and pulled Winter over to the cookies & cream machine.

"Here," she handed Winter her empty cup. "You can fill up mine with this one."

Winter nodded happily, taking Karina's bowl but walking over to a different machine. Before Karina could stop her, Winter was filling her cup with raspberry flavoured yogurt. Karina shook her head, sighing and accepting the cup from a satisfied Winter.

"There's toppings over there," she pointed to the counter next to them. Karina grabbed Winter's hand before she could run over and followed her. "Don't use too many."

Winter nodded, bending down and studying all of her different options. Karina was adding strawberry slices into her cup when Winter tapped her on the shoulder and proudly held up her frozen yogurt, which was now covered neatly with banana slices.

"You really like bananas, don't you?" Karina asked, laughing softly.

"Yes, yellow," Winter nodded. She smiled proudly, and Karina led her over to the cashier. They set their cups down on the scale and Karina paid. She sent a warning glare to the man behind the counter when he began eyeing Winter, who was clapping her hands in excitement. He quickly gave her the change and she thanked him.

Karina handed Winter a spoon, walking over to one of the tables. Winter sat down, crossing her legs underneath her in the small chair. Karina laughed, sitting down across from her and taking a bite of her ice cream. She hadn't expected to like the raspberry flavour, but it was actually pretty good.

Winter started eating her ice cream by picking the bananas off and popping them into her mouth one by one. Karina watched as Winter happily chewed on her food. She looked up from her bowl and smiled widely at Karina.

"Is it good?" Karina asked, raising an eyebrow.

"Yellow," Winter nodded, as if it were a completely reasonable answer. By now, Karina had realized that it was to Winter.

"Pink," Karina pointed to her cup. Winter nodded excitedly, smiling at Karina as if she'd just unlocked one of the deepest secrets of the world. Karina liked that feeling.

Winter finished half of her ice cream before she looked up at Karina nervously. Noticing this, Karina pointed to her cup. "Are you full?"

Winter nodded slowly. Karina just nodded and took both of their cups, throwing them away. She saw the smaller girl sigh in relief, wondering why it bothered her so much to tell her when she was full.