Cacti and Crystals: Part 1

At the farmers market, Olivia sets up her booth next to her infuriatingly attractive nemesis.

~

It's a perfect day for a farmers market, and Ember had better not ruin it for me. Throngs of customers stroll through the booths with their wallets ready while the hot sun beats down on us. A live band is setting up across the park, sure to lure in more people.

"Thanks so much for your purchase, ma'am," I say, helping my customer put her potted succulents into a box. It's not even ten and I've already sold six plants. This bodes well.

"Seems like everybody I know has these little cactus things," the lady says. "You should see how many my granddaughter has. Not a clear spot on any of her window sills!"

I cast her my most charming smile. "Plants are the new pets, as they say."

She laughs. "Well, I'll take good care of my new pets."

She walks away with her purchase, looking pleased.

From the booth beside me, Ember gives a derisive snort.

Hot anger licks through me. Somehow, they always end up next to me at these markets. I need to have a word with whoever designs the booth layout. Why can't I be placed next to someone cool with an actual useful product? A bakery, maybe?

Instead, I get to sit next to a table full of rocks.

Sorry, not rocks. Crystals and gemstones. Call them rocks and Ember will shoot you a glare fiery enough to melt them all.

Ember is just finishing setting up, which gives me a rush of satisfaction.

"You're late," I say, sliding my chair further into the shade. My red tank top and booty shorts offer minimal coverage, and my freckled skin is too pale to handle more than a few minutes of sun. I let my hair down and try to fan it out over my shoulders for extra protection.

"Some of us have lives outside of this, Olivia," Ember says, returning my snippy tone. They scrutinize me as I run my fingers through my brunette locks, their gaze lingering a little too long.

"Well, while you were off living life, the rest of us have already made sales," I say smugly.

And I'm determined to keep it up. I have to sell more than Ember today so I can rub it in their face.

Ember ignores this and plunks down in a folding chair.

They're dressed in flowy orange pants with an obnoxious floral pattern, and a teeny tiny tassel crop top that reveals a lot of midriff. It's a shame to see such devastatingly good looks wasted. I can't deny that they're attractive, with their black pixie cut, brown skin, bold eyebrows, cute nose piercing, and nicely shaped lips. Not to mention that kissable jawline. But their personality totally ruins it.

A young couple slows down to peer at their booth, and Ember flashes a smile. "Morning!"

The first time we met, Ember had the nerve to tell me that my entire booth was unethical and bad for the environment. I'd snapped back that I use biodegradable pots instead of plastic, source my plants ethically, and plants consume carbon dioxide and toxins.

I guess my arguments weren't good enough, because there's been friction between us ever since.

A teenage girl with pale skin, waist-length brown hair, and a half-eaten scone in her hand stops at Ember's booth. "Do you have selenite?"

Ember reaches across the table for a white crystal. "Yes, right here."

"My friend told me it helps create positive energy flow?"