These Glittering Treasures: Part 2

Antonia returns with the treasures I asked for, and our fingers graze as she passes them to me.

Smiling, I bow. "With respect, you are probably the easiest person to steal from, señorita."

Antonia chews her bottom lip. "You're right. My father will be disappointed that I handed over his gifts so readily."

She backs up toward the writing desk, something teasing in her expression. It sends a flutter through me, and I step closer without meaning to.

She puts her wrists together and offers them to me. "Aren't you going to restrain me, Captain?"

I swallow hard. Seven times, we've met, and seven times, she's played this game with me—wanting to be endangered so she can be rescued. I can't help but go along with it. She's too beautiful to refuse, even if toying with her is a waste of time.

"If you insist, love." I put my loot on the bed, then push her into the wooden chair and grab a pale pink ribbon from the desk. It's cool and smooth between my fingers. "Silk?"

"Yes."

"Valuable. I might have to take this, as well."

The silk stockings beneath her dress take form in my imagination, and I scowl, turning my attention to my hands.

Antonia grins, watching my face as I loop the ribbon over her wrists. My fingers graze her soft forearms. Standing over her, I avoid meeting her eye, but my gaze draws to the swell of her breasts under her bodice.

She hisses as I cinch the ribbon tight and knot it. I let her bound hands fall into her lap.

"There you are. Restrained by a pirate, and you could do nothing to stop her from taking your prized possessions." I lean down, putting my hands on the arm rests. "One day, love, you'll get tired of playing the damsel. What's going to happen when this town runs out of handsome men to rescue you? Or is there one who keeps returning?"

She tilts her head and opens her mouth, but no sound comes out. Is she suddenly shy?

How unlike her.

She bites her lip. I catch myself doing the same. Does she know what she does to me?

There's a crash behind us as the bedroom door flies open.

Antonia gasps.

I spin around, pistol raised.

Diego is there, a wicked grin on his lips.

"We takin' hostages this time? Good." He strides over and grabs Antonia's bound wrists, pulling her to her feet. "What else you got? Is that crystal?"

"Let go of me!" Antonia shouts, all playfulness gone from her tone.

"We are not taking hostages," I say, jabbing Diego in the chest with my pistol. A sick feeling twists inside me. If he knew what I was thinking... if he knew the hold this lady has over me...

"Come off it," he growls, pushing away the barrel without flinching. "We've got enough trinkets to fill eight ships. We need leverage if we want gold, Captain."

He raises Antonia's wrists and shakes them like she's a sack of coins he found.

Antonia's eyes are wide with fear. She works her wrists, trying to come free of the ribbon, and I regret tying it so tight.

"Diego, let go of her. No hostages."

He rolls his eyes and steps toward the door, pulling Antonia so she stumbles after him.

I point my pistol at him. "I'm going to count to three, and if you survive the gunshot to your head, I'll drag you back to the ship and keelhaul you until the last thing you see is your own blood clouding the harbor."

I'd do it, too. Yes, they are my brothers, but a firm hand is the only way a captain stays a captain.

Diego faces me, and whatever he sees in my eyes makes that wicked grin slide off his face.

He lets go of Antonia and puts his hands up. "All right, all right. You're the boss."

"And you shouldn't need reminding of it, you filthy bilge rat. Get outside and find some of those trinkets you think you're too good for. I'll be out soon."

Diego stomps away, and I slam the door behind him and lock it. The moment his footsteps retreat down the stairs, I holster my weapon and rush to Antonia's side.

"I'm so sorry," I say, fumbling with the ribbon. "Are you okay, love?"

She stares at me, calm and steady. "Captain Lucia, I never understand you. You're a pirate. You're supposed to pillage, not rescue the damsel."

I meet her emerald eyes and silently curse my heart for skipping a beat.

I cast her a teasing grin. "So, you admit it. You love being a damsel."

"I—well, yes. When I act a certain way, men dote on me and buy me everything I ask for. It's wonderful."

"And in return, you let them bed you?"

"Excuse you!" she says, affronted. "I am an unmarried woman of nineteen and have never been with a man in that way."

I bite my lip. For reasons I don't care to admit, the idea of her never having been with a man excites me.

"Anyway, don't change the topic," she says. "Why did you rescue me? Why are you so good to me whenever you come here?"

She must know why. But I refuse to say it.

Avoiding her eye, I finish untying her and let the pink ribbon flutter to the floor.

She stares at me, waiting.

I open my mouth, searching for words. "There's no sense in taking you hostage. You have a lot of pretty things I need to steal before I actually endanger your life, señorita."

I turn away. Of course I wouldn't let anyone take her from her home. She's safe and comfortable here, and it needs to stay that way. She's too sweet and gentle for the sea.

"What's that necklace you're wearing?" she says.

"What?"

Her boots tap closer. "Turn around. Show me."

Damn her. She's tipped me off-balance and knows it.

My face is surely the color of a lobster, but I turn. When I don't produce the necklace from beneath my tunic, she reaches forward and grabs it herself.

"My emerald pendant," she says. "I knew it. You kept it."

I tug it back and put it beneath my tunic. "It's lovely. I didn't want to sell it."

"Uh-huh. And what other items of mine have you kept instead of selling?"

I make a choking sound, unable to articulate anything.

"Don't be embarrassed," Antonia says. "I think it's sweet that you kept them."

"Sweet? I've done nothing but steal from you! You should be repulsed by me!"

"And yet, you just rescued me."

"Because I—"

"What?" She steps closer, her face so close to mine that her breath tickles my lips. "Admit it."

~

Part 3 coming tomorrow! Read the full story right now on "Sweet & Spicy Sapphic Stories" at patreon.com/tianawarner. Plus you'll get early access to next week's story!