Giving her one last look,I gave off a chuckle before picking up my own phone. Daryl had officially asked me out to prom a few days ago and even though I'd known it would happen,it still made me quite giddy.

          Godson had asked Onome to prom as well and as much as a shock as that had come to me,I hadn't found it unbelievable. She was happy and that made me happy as well. Oghale had been asked by Temi of course and Yomi,well,it was a pass for him. He'd refused to attend anything besides the school graduation.

                  ***

           "Oh Jesus,Mummy it's not my size" I cried,trying to fit my leg into the pair of thin-heeled shoes my mother had gotten to complement my prom gown.

          "It's you that doesn't want to calm down! I said I will come and help you buckle it ehn! Anne,biko nye ya aka (please help her)" she directed at our housekeeper.

           I'd thought planning my prom would have been such a hard phase for me but my mother,my very own mother had taken every part of it upon herself. It was a Friday so she'd come home early from work just so she could help me with my dressing.

          She'd done the moisturizing and makeup. My manicure had been taken care of the previous day,she'd taken me to get artificial nails fixed. I'd picked out pink and nude nails with little silver studs on them. Next,she'd taken me to the salon to get my hair washed,dried and pulled into a high ponytail with a thirty-six inches brown hair extension attached to its ends.

          "Thank God for these ropes,they'll help you not to lose your balance" My mum spoke up,coming beside Anne who had just finished interlacing the silver leather-like laces of my heels around my legs,stopping right below my knees. The band of the heels which held my toes in place was also well embellished with shimmery motifs.

          "I know how to walk on heels naw" I shot her a death glare but eyelash extensions she'd fixed on me probably accentuated the action. "Its like you don't know you'll be wearing these shoes for hours. You think its joke" she laughed,going back to her pacing around the house,trying to gather everything I would need before we would head out.

          I thanked Anne as she stepped back,looking over me endearingly. I guess it wasn't only I who was elated at how much effort my mother was putting into all of this. If this was her way of making up how much she'd neglected me in the past,well,it was working quite well.

         "Oya,wear these ones. Anne,yinye ya these rings(Wear her these rings)" My mother instructed,emerging into the living room with a jewellery box. I sat,simply smoothing the large knee-lenght fluffy shimmery baby pink net flare skirts of my gown as my mother placed what seemed like gold bands over the root of my ponytail.

          She placed a studded lustrous hair band over the fore of my hair,one whose designed could be akin to that of a real crown.

         "Kainene! I makwa mma oh! I sini ginii!(You're fine oh! You say what!)" Anne hyped,helping me to my feet while my mother ensured that the step-like flares of my gown remained dislodged from the silver sequin lace which formed the torso of the gown.

         "Before,no be my pikin!" My mother concurred,giving herself the credit as she handed me the silver clutch she'd gotten me and we headed towards the car. She helped me into the passenger's seat before climbing into the driver's seat herself.

         "Abi its Ikeja suites and event centre?" She questioned as she started the car. I replied affirmative,taking a while to stare at my reflection in the windscreen of the car. Lord could my mother really work magic,from the contours of my face to the eyeshadow which brought out my eyes to the bronzing of my nose,I looked transformed. I could actually call myself stunning.