Chapter XIV

Kainene

         "Kainene,our parents are coming today,meaning mummy will come" Susan informed me as I walked her to her class after the morning assembly. Today,being Friday was the last day of their orientation so parents had been invited.

         I would call it 'seeing your child before he/she became a true subject of boarding school'. We always gave the new students what we called 'week of grace' which was their first week of being at school.

         During that week,they were allowed to defy some rules and were immune to punishments as well as errands of prefects and senior students but once the week was over,they would start facing their lives as average boarding school students. Although rumours had it that the boys gave the junior boys only a day of grace.

         "When she comes,greet her for me yeah" I told her,stopping at the door of her class. "Wont you come and see her?" She questioned. "We're not allowed in the auditorium" I explained to her.

         "Oh.." she sulked. "Dont worry,I'll see her another time. Have fun yeah" I told her,arranging her school uniform which barely managed to fit to her small frame as well as laying free strands of her hair in place.

         "Okay,bye!" She waved as I started walking away. "Bye" I waved back. I took my time in making my way back to my class,funny emotions swirling within me like I'd woken up on the wrong side of the bed. I darted my gaze down as I walked,gradually losing concentration and leaving my feet to make out their way by themselves.

         Would she remember me today? I questioned myself as I reached the staircase,raising my first leg to climb but instead,I found myself almost tripping. "Woah!" I heard someone exclaim as an arm grasped unto mine,preventing me from falling face down.

         "Oh my God!" I muttered under my breath,looking up to see who my saviour was. "Kainene small small na,do you want to break your head?" Jawal mused as I stabled myself. "Sorry,I wasnt looking" I sighed,attempting to continue in my way.

         "Wait" he called,climbing a step ahead of me. "Are you okay?" He questioned. I raised my gaze from the floor again but instead of resting on him,it travelled past him to meet Daryl's,who stood upstairs at the opposite corridor,staring at us as well. I suddenly started feeling like I was doing something wrong.

          "I'm fine" I replied,still holding Daryl's gaze. "Have you eaten?" Jawal asked again,making me break away from Daryl's gaze and look back to him. "I'll eat when I get to class" I told him. "Should I follow you?" He offered.

          "Dont worry,I can go by myself. Thank you" I turned down his offer before brushing past him,supporting myself with the rail of the stairs as I climbed.

         "Jade,please shift for me" I requested as I reached my seat where Jade and Onome sat. "Kaine..." Onome called with almost too much sympathy as I took a seat beside them and rested my head over the table.

        "Kaine,are you still thinking of her?" Onome whispered,coming to squat beside me so she could see my face which I'd buried in my crossed arms over the table. "Not really" I told her,my voice starting to crack as I fought back the tears. I couldn't cry,I was way past that.

         "Kainene,its okay,dont let it get to you." Jade soothed,running her hand over my back. "We carried your yam and egg sauce in Jade'd flask,incase you get hungry later" Onome whispered. "Thank you" I whispered back. She caressed my arm before standing up and going back to her place.

          I stayed that way for some extra minutes,gathering my emotions into one bag and urging myself to not remain moody throughout the day. "SS3A students,Good morning" The voice of the Guidance Counsellor rang past my eardrums,making me take in a deep breath and raise my head up.