Chapter XVIII

Kainene

"I heard Sister White-ney wants to reshuffle people's rooms in Royal Hill" Jade informed Onome and I as we strode through the corridors of the school building,heading for our classes. It was yet another famous Wednesday afternoon,the afternoon for sports but I preferred to refer to it as the game time for boys.

Many a time,I found myself pitying the junior girls as they were subjected to participating in the sports by coercion from the sports prefects. Only but a few girls in Pacreis were interested in sports,except it was the hula hoop of course which I harboured qualms in my mind if it could really be counted as a real sport.

"Ehn,its like they caught a guy inside Room H or so in their hostel. Sister Whitney now wants to reshuffle them" Onome explained. "Why didnt she just punish them or something? Is the reshuffling necessary?" I questioned.

"How did the boy even enter the hostel sef?" Jade questioned after me. "It was Sunday evening na,you know how it used to be" Onome told Jade,regarding the unconstituted tradition of Pacreis students to infiltrate the opposite genders' hostels on Sunday evenings.

"Ohh,I thought it was on a normal day" Jade nodded in understanding. "No na,how will it be on a normal day? Abi the person is friends with suspension or something?" Onome laughed.

"Does suspension even mean anything for Pacreis students again?" I asked,a brief sigh following my question. "As in ehn,nobody is scared of that thing again" Jade concored.

Just as we were about to walk past the small corridor that divided the first half of the school building from the second,I felt my leg stop the momentum of an object as it fell beside me and my left leg was left to take in the force impact,in other words,the pain.

"Ouch!" I cried,stepping backwards as I took hold of my knee,looking downwards to see what would be described as the cause of my pain if I should tell the story. "Ah,Kainene what happened?!" Jade exclaimed from beside me as she crouched down a bit to examine my leg.

"All these boys and their games ehn,how did this thing reach here now" Onome rebuked as she bent down and picked up the half round ball with a feather like material surrounding its top.

"What's that sef?" I questioned but before my question could be answered,someone jogged up to where we stood,making us avert our gazes from the ball-like object to the figure before us,whom we could hardly recognize as he backed the light which streamed in from the side of the building.

"Oh you guys found the shuttlecock" He panted as he reached where we stood. "Daryl?" I said out loud,my doubt as to if I'd seen correctly evident in my tone of speech.

"Wait,you're the one that threw this ball?" Onome fired at him. "Well,literally I didnt throw it. It was misdirected during the play" he explained. "It wasnt misdirected,it was directed at Kainene's leg" she fired back.

I couldnt place my finger as to why she was being this arrogant towards him but damn did I have a defensive best friend. "Seriously? Oh my gosh,Kainene I'm sorry" Daryl apologised almost instantly. "Thank you" I found myself actually chuckling.

"If you had broken her leg,will sorry have fixed it?" Onome pressed on. "Ahah na,Onome, he already apologised" Jade defended in vain. "Oya just give me the ball" I requested,stretching my palm to Onome. "Fine" she gave in,handing the object to me.

"What are you guys playing?" I questioned as I handed the object back to Daryl. "Badminton. Why do you ask? Do you want to join us?" He mused. "You think I can't play badminton?" I corked a brow up at him.

"I'd love to watch you try" he told me with a shrug earning a playful glare from me which only widened his smirk. "You guys should go without me,I have someone to defeat" I declared boldly to Onome and Jade.