Wez's May, 2022 Update

Start from the beginning

My official biological even ecological pest control knowledge here is zero. I have not even got around to looking their full life cycle up. And my garden's organic, so chemicals—out!

So what—!? What do I do?

Well, for my part, on sheer mathematical probabilities hope, I wander around checking and weeding and toss them far as I can into the woods. I speculate, unless they develop a homing instinct in two seconds flat, target—my plants, that usually only one quarter of those 'might' head back over this way. They others have to head out in other directions, right?

So, now I'm down to one quarter, but that's just out of those that I've found... so really not half, and I'm not the Chief Slug Hunter here. My poor partner is out every morning and night in the dark with his obsession eyes on, checking for more. And he's not as kind to the slugs as I am, so I DO try to option as many as possible with the Slug Escape Flight Plan, before he has to--er--do what he does.

And the next best trick I have in my stupid heart rescue for slugs is to just leave dark plastic pieces laid down over a hollow or hole in good earthy spots, where they'll head as soon as the sun starts to warm. So easy to grab them in groups though from there.

... and... down to thrity-five percent with these things together.

THEN, we use—the miracle tool! This is so fun!

I said last year we picked up 10,000—by hand. Well, turns out... if your instincts gravitate to a short white / yellow pole that you find in a thrift store, and it has a white more flexible perhaps eight inch split tongue at the end... That could be a 'slug swiffer' I'd say for sure. (Some people attach it to a new cleaning head and use it on floors, but I'm sure it doesn't mind other uses as well.)

It has a valuable purpose in life! Turns out, it is THE prime and most perfect tool for collecting of slugs. Just poke, slide 'em on or into the tongue and voila! Then, they'll slip back off and into a cup.

Bang-oh! You've got them—less time and less trouble to boot, and the hunting's more fun, as you'll have your Swiffer spear tool in your hand! You warrior, you! (It doesn't hurt them, to my mind and plan. It's tongue is much softer plastic, slides over their squishiness middles. *That's of course if you don't hurt them after you do painlessly spear them right up.)

However, the tiny babies are the worst of the slug world, both to locate and stop. They do the most damage, and don't stick in the 'tongue'... so this just requires eyes, unless you have ducks with more eyesight than mine.

By the time it's starting to warm to over 5 degrees celsius (41 F) regularly at night, then your slugs (which I never saw till the last five or six years) are all moving around and only get smarter, I think, as they grow.

I'm saying there's not really an answer out here, and the only way we could wind up with some food that we want to eat by ourselves is to put any seedlings (new seeds and those not yet grown tall enough to have a slug-hardy stem) UP onto a surface, in trays of seedlings onto outdoor plastic display tables or on large benches of wood, tree trunk slabs or slatted wood kind of shelves (that slugs cannot climb).

Yes, our yard looks just that odd! But I'm fond of our food.

Beats me though why the slugs always come to the window and doors—those too are wood. 'Looking for my partner to even the score' is what I've said to him—it's what that's all about. ;)

That's it for now. I might report more on this season's slugs. I'm sure you'll be thrilled. We'll see how it goes. I know we can't wait! Ghah. :)

Changing Our Hearts

Could we, can we, might we, in need, change the hearts of people all over the world? I'm seeing signs that we're banding together. How about you? Any more caring responses to issues of need that you notice in your area too?

Unbelievable times!

Blessings from Mearth,

Cheers 'til next update!

≈ We WILL all be on the same page when our hearts unify.

* Updating frequency: continues erratic.

Thanks for reading,

≈ Wez

Be in the stillness...