"Pure spirit," the dark hedgehog spat, pacing in front of the (a/t). "You will know darkness. You will know fear. You will know death at my hand!"

"Shadow, please! I wasn't thinking, and I know I must have hurt you!" she cried, lifting her hands. He snarled and she flinched. She covered her head, trying to breathe.

Do not let this fear overwhelm you. Fear is what it wants, and you are not afraid. She released a breath, slowly lowering her hands and meeting Shadow's gaze.

"I'm sorry," she said, forcing her voice to be steady. She extended one hand towards him. "I knew what you were doing. I could have pulled away sooner, but I really do trust you, Shadow. And I'm not afraid of you." She took a step towards him and his ears flattened. "I meant it, too."

Shadow opened his mouth, then groaned and dropped to his knees, clawing at his neck. Taking the opportunity, (Y/n) dropped down in front of him and grabbed one of his hands, coaxing it away from his neck. She stared at him, though his eyes were squeezed shut, then brought his hand up to her own neck. His eyes snapped open as she guided his hand to the side of her throat, to her pulse point.

"I trust you," she whispered firmly. His lips parted and his hand went slack in her grip. He lowered his head, his fingers trembling slightly against her neck.

"(Y/n)," he finally breathed. "I'm so sorry. I lost control...I-"

"I already told you," she said, shifting her grip on his wrist, "I knew what you were doing. Though, to be completely honest, that's not exactly how I imagined my first kiss going. I panicked, yes, which was unprofessional of me, but I'm not mad, and it doesn't change anything I told you." She rubbed his arm before dropping her hand. "We're friends, at least, Shadow, and with a clear head and some time to talk..."

"Maybe there's more," he finished quietly. "If you don't feel the same, I...I understand. I'm..."

"Possessed? Dead? Doesn't matter to me. As long as you're still in there, that's what really matters." She pressed her hand to his chest, his hand shifting on her neck. "While your heart may not beat right now, I believe the pieces of you that belonged there are in your soul. Trust me, and trust yourself. Can you do that?"

"I don't believe I've ever been able to truly trust myself."

"I suppose now's the time to learn." She dropped her hand, Shadow's sliding down her shoulder before falling. "Also...I told Rouge I'd be fast today, but I just wanted to clear that up with you..." She gave him a sheepish grin, to which he hesitated, then returned it with half lidded eyes. "We're going to have a girls' day? However you do that during the apocalypse."

Shadow chuckled softly, sitting back. "Then by all means," he said, "go enjoy your girls' day."

"You sure you'll be okay without me?" He nodded and she shuffled forward, touching her hand to his chest once more. "Okay. Remember. The pieces are still there. We can put you back together."

"I know," he murmured, brushing his fingers across her knuckles and closing his eyes. "I believe you." She smiled and pulled away after a moment, standing and turning to the door. As she entered the code and the door ground open, she turned back one last time.

"Thank you, Shadow," she said, lifting her hand in a farewell. He returned the gesture, his lips lifting. She then turned and let the door close, setting her hands on her hips and looking up at Omega.

"Well then," she said, "should we go see what Rouge and Blaze have come up with?"

~

The Assassination Zone...