A girls' day. "I haven't had one of those in a long time." (Y/n) smiled softly. "(F/n) and I used to save up for one day each year and then go out and spend it all on whatever we wanted."

"(F/n)?"

"A good friend of mine. I sent her and her brother to the Assassination Zone before I even knew I was immune. I wish I could see her now, know that she's okay."

"Perhaps the blessings of your gift followed them there," Rouge mused. "Maybe you'll see her when you go." (Y/n) sighed, hugging herself and lowering her head.

"I sure hope so."

~

"Alright, Blaze. It's break time. We're all taking the day off," Rouge announced, an arm around (Y/n)'s shoulders as she marched into the kitchen where Blaze was putting together their breakfast.

"I figured," the princess said, smiling gently at the (a/t). "What did you have in mind?"

"Pretend like the apocalypse isn't happening," the bat said, squeezing (Y/n)'s shoulders, "that Shadow is off being the 'Ultimate Lifeform' on some mission, and we're all just hanging out and deciding we want to take an ice bath."

"Let's eat first," (Y/n) said, pulling away from Rouge. "I'm starving. My appetite's coming back."

"Excellent," the spy said, grabbing a bowl for herself and the immune. She plopped down next to the (a/t), nudging the bowl her direction. "Eat, make sure Shadow's handled, then forget about all this for a day." She turned to (Y/n). "So. Tell us more about (F/n)."

~

They finished breakfast, talk of the (a/t)'s best friend momentarily taking her mind off her predicament.

However, she apparently couldn't help herself when Rouge and Blaze stood up, muttering something to each other, and Omega stomped in, saying Shadow was still contained, but had taken a bullet when the door opened.

What if he's not holding onto that hope because you just ran away like a coward? What if you've lost all your progress? What if he hates you now? You'll have to start over, time's ticking-

"Oh, no you don't," Rouge said, grabbing (Y/n) by the shoulders and shaking her. "I can tell you're spiraling. The day's hardly begun!"

"I have to check on him," she blurted. "I promise I'll be quick, and I won't do anything stupid, but I've been so consistent, and I don't want him to think I'm avoiding him, well, not really-"

"Relax, hon," Rouge said, giving (Y/n)'s shoulders a squeeze. "I understand. If it makes you feel better, go ahead and take a look. Me and Blaze will brainstorm some things to take your mind off your troubles."

The (a/t) released a breath. "Thank you," she whispered, looking between the two. Blaze nodded and Rouge nudged her.

"Go on, now. Don't want to waste too much of today."

~

Remembering Omega's statement about Shadow having to be forced into the cell, she took the former Badnik up with her, guilt tailing her the whole way. She entered the code and pushed the door open, scanning the cell for Shadow.

I meant it.

I'm sorry.

"Shadow?" she called softly. She stepped into the cell, glancing behind at Omega. That was her mistake. She yelped as scorching hands suddenly grabbed her shoulder and neck, shoving her against the door. Omega jammed his servo into the gap, though Shadow momentarily released her to kick the robot's servo out, dragging the door shut.