chapter 33

"A-ah yes!we remember Megumi,don't we my love?"
Your mother chirped and glanced at her husband who "lovingly" held her hand.He cleared his throat-abit all too nervous and gave a curt nod.

"I've heard great things about you young man.My daughter speaks so fondly of you"
Your father tried covering up his confusion,masking himself as if he knew better-as if he knew Megumi.It was a clean move on his behalf but both you and your father knew,that he was bullshitting.

You stopped talking about Megumi when you realized they stopped paying attention.You stopped talking about Megumi when they stopped showing up to take care for there daughter,realizing that your mother would think he was your boyfriend,forget about him for awhile only for when you brought him up again would she again think he was your boyfriend..again.

In short,your parents were pure shit.

"[Name],you're talking about me these days?God you're so weird"
What Megumi said had made you laugh as you threw him with a napkin and playfully glared.It was his little teasing that could either irk you or really make you laugh.

"I would've never guessed you had a son Mr Fushiguro and what were the odds of our children actually being friends"
Your mother chirped in again and clasped her hands together,smiling in victory as if she accomplished something.
"It's a sign!"

Oh god you did not just say that

Your father let out a shaky breath,tightening his hand into his wifes own and gave one of his many acquaintances a pained smile.
"Darling..."
He spoke through gritted teeth and you shifted in your seat due to all the awkwardness.

Megumi cleared his throat and pulled his lips to one side,staring directly at you.He could tell that you've been uncomfortable the entire time and the soothing music in the background didn't help at all.He watched your mothers cheeks suck in,a pained smile on her face as she tried clutching your fathers hand twice as tighter.

"[Name] and Megumi has been friends since her second year at Zenin Prep.He talks about her as often as she talks about him and on note,I've gotten to know your daughter on a much personal level.Not only is she bright,passionate and motivated but she is a kind hearted girl that has my son wrapped around her finger"

Megumi spat the drink out from his mouth.The soft drink spilled over his dinner plate and onto the table roses and napkins.Your eyes widened.

Dearest reader,had you heard correctly?Toji Fushiguro had complimented you in more ways than you could have ever imagined.Though,that was not entirely true but,it felt heartwarming.His words were gentle and kind and you felt a sense of euphoria spread throughout your body.

His compliment was more than what you could've asked for.His compliment was genuine.

"Mr Fushiguro,you sure take well note on your sons friendships"
Your mother piped up again.She frowned and sat back,folding her arms.There was a tad bit of jealousy that lingered in her heart,her stance hostile as she loathed the fact that the man of her dreams had known more about you-her practically a teenager of a daughter-more than her.

Your father had tried to speak up but she just spoke away,interrupting him like a child,without thought or consideration.
"His an adult,you seem almost abit..over protective"

"If you must know Mrs [Last Name],I am a great asset to Zenin Prep and have been teaching at the prestigious school for five years.Your daughter happens to be in my class and I've gotten to know her quite well"
Toji sipped on his champagne and gave her a pressed look.Rage.He felt rage.

"Mr Fushiguro please excuse-"

"Each and everyone attending this party-including the rubbish over there.."
He pointed out and nod his head toward the main table.The head of the Zenin clan had been occupied in small chatter amongst his family.
"Knows what position I've taken on.Your daughter is a wonderful student and the fact that you don't know about me or her bestfriend sure tells me a lot"

"Dad"
Megumi grabbed his arm and grit his teeth in anger.There was no stopping his fathers mouth and even though he would never over step his boundaries by saying something as bold as this,he couldn't help but agree.Your parents were shitty and that's coming from someone who's been previously abandoned.
"Don't.Its not our place"

The look of embarrassment was smeared all over your parents face.Your father shifted uncomfortably but your mothers eyes was fixated on the man across from her.
"What do you know"

"What do I know?"
Tojis voice was laced with mere amusement.He wiped his mouth using a napkin and chuckled when he saw your widened eyes.Your cheeks stained a deep red as you looked down into your lap,burying your face into your hair.

The waiters had rushed out once again,carrying the finest of wine and setting them at each table for a refill.Toji had drowned himself in the champagne while the table slowly turned quiet.
"I'm just the teacher"

"Please forgive my wife's rudeness Mr Fushiguro,she's as illiterate as they come"

"Don't ask for my forgiveness [Last Name],after all..I'm not the daughter you abandoned"
What Toji had said hit quite hard.Nobody had ever confronted your parents like this before and in situations like these people would usually turn a blind ear.Toji was different.

At this point soft tears had dripped from your cheeks as you slowly stood up.This was all so overwhelming.Toji called your parents out for you,though it was abit sly-but it was for you.He stood up for you and complimented you.Toji did it for you.

"[Name] sit down"
Your fathers face,a blood red,had spoke through his gritted teeth.His tight jaw had locked even harder and it had made you ball your fists in frustration.

"I think your daughter feels abit overwhelmed.I cannot blame her,you two are indeed shitty parents and that's coming from a shitty parent himself"

"Dad!"

"How dare you!"
Your mother raised her voice and glared even harder.Toji on the other hand had leaned back in his seat and gave a mischievous smile.

"Can't handle the truth hun?"
He laughed in amusement and shook his head.
"I pity the both of you"

"Toji,we've been good friends for years and seem to see eye to eye but I will not allow you to slander my wife and child at a public function-"

"Give me a break [Last Name],the moment your wife walked in here she's been slandering your family name by her obnoxious behavior.I would be embarrassed to be seen with her,trying to control both you and your daughter as if she was the woman of the house"
Toji scoffed and shook his head.
"I didn't mean for my words to turn this harsh so quickly,but both you and your wife annoys me"

Toji turned his head toward you and watched you wipe away your tears.His eyes softened at the sight as you sniffled and pushed in your seat.He could see the heartbreak you felt and the disappointment laced over your entire face.
"Megumi..why don't you take [Name] to the bathroom.She needs to calm down and needs water"

Megumi sighed and pushed his chair in,grumbling.He grumbled about how his father could've gone easier on this,how his father shouldn't of involved himself and how the bickering caused unwanted attention.It was something you simply hated.

"Come on.."
Megumi spoke up and hooked your arm in his.You obediently followed beside him,too in daze to care as Toji's words replayed over and over.
"You'll be fine ChiChi"
There it was again.ChiChi.The nickname had made you smile as you clutched Megumi's hand and rushed off into the bathrooms to cool yourself down.