Chapter Two

Seven

When I was seven years old, I had my first sleep over.

-- -- --

I waited all through church service on Sunday morning until I could go home and prepare for the best night of my life. Other girls at school seemed to have sleep overs every other weekend, but I'd never had one of my own. They told stories about painting each other's nails, staying up late, and eating junk food until their stomachs hurt. Now, I was finally getting the opportunity to experience something like that for myself.

In fact, I was so excited I still had Lily's birthday invitation tucked into the pocket of my Sunday dress. Even now I could picture its delicate font and the flowers that bordered the card's edges. Or how the card folded together with a crisp sound leaving nothing but matching edges in its wake. I was so wrapped up in anticipation that Church itself took forever to end. Each minute turned into an hour twice as long. It wasn't until the youth Pastor bid us goodbye that I realized I hadn't heard a single word he'd said.

Under normal circumstances I loved Church and the intricate stories he would tell, but my mind was in a million other places. Sighing, I got to my feet, smoothed out my dress, and bounded across the room to leave the small building behind. Racing across the lawn, I called out to my mother who stood waiting for me alongside Dad. My joy must have been contagious because soon they were smiling from ear to ear.

"Let's go! We have a party to prepare for!" I yelled, leaping into my father's arms. Chuckling, he pressed a kiss to my forehead and ran a hand through my blonde hair.

"You have five hours until you need to be there kiddo. There's no rush," Mom reminded, taking my father's hand after he settled me atop his shoulders. For a moment, I looked around for Tommy before remembering he'd stayed home. I wasn't exactly sure why he didn't go to church anymore, but Mom and Dad seemed to be okay with it. Maybe he was old enough to not need it anymore. Was that possible? Could you get too old for church? Whatever the case, it was strange not having him around to goof off with as we made our way through the parking lot.

Thankfully, I didn't dwell on it for too long getting lost in my thoughts as I clambered into the car and buckled up for the ride home. Once comfortable, I sat quietly listening to radio and noting that some of the songs were similar to ones we'd sung during worship. Others were ones I'd never heard before, but none of that mattered at the moment. All I could think about was what I'd wear to the sleepover. What did I need to bring? Had Mom gotten a gift for Lily yet?

Eventually, my worrying came to an end as we pulled into our driveway back home. Raven sat waiting on her bike waving as Dad parked the car. I got a sneaking suspicion that she'd been waiting all morning for me to return. Slipping out of the car, I completely forgot about my sleepover troubles as Raven rode her bike towards me.

"Ready to ride without training wheels?" She asked, a cheeky smile flashing across her face. Pausing, I looked expectantly at my father. He was supposed to have taken my training wheels off before the weekend, but he had a habit of getting caught up in work and church activities.

"Don't worry, I remembered. Just be careful and no riding in the road," he insisted, opening the garage. Bouncing on the balls of my feet, I waited as he pulled my bike out into the driveway. Holding still, I let him clip on my helmet before hesitantly climbing onto my bike. "I'll be out in about an hour to help you practice, okay?"

"Okay!" Giggling, I straddled my bike and shuffled down the angled driveway following Raven to her house. There, her garage sat open with her Dad working on their car. "Hi Mister Moreau!"

"Hey kid. Is Raven teaching you to ride today?" He asked, glancing up from the car and wiping his oil slicked hands on a dirty rag. Part of me wanted to suggest that he get a new one, but I bit my tongue.