"Morning," Kankuro said. Naruto nodded and motioned for him to come inside, but Kankuro shook his head. "I'm here on official business. Can you get Temari for me?"

"What official business is that?" - 'one that I haven't sanctioned'.

Kankuro sighed. "Your protectiveness of my sister is endearing and all … … but I really need Temari's help on this one." Naruto had the decency to rub his neck in embarrassment on hearing that.

"Help?" Temari walked out the door and stood beside Naruto. "With what?" she asked.

"There's this kunoichi who's been apprehended on grounds of suspicious behavior by the ANBU. But she isn't willing to cooperate with anyone, that is, anyone besides you," Kankuro explained, not unwilling to meet Naruto's suspicious stare even for a second.

Temari's brows furrowed in slight confusion. "That's odd," she murmured.

"Who's the kunoichi?" Naruto asked.

Kankuro looked Naruto in the eyes. "I can't answer," he said after a moment's deliberation.

"Which village is she from?" he pressed on.

"I can't answer."

Temari's frown became a bit more pronounced as she silently watched the back and forth between them. "Kankuro …" she whispered worriedly when Naruto took a hold of her hand and gave it a firm squeeze to stop her from interfering.

"Why can't you answer me, Kankuro?"

"I-I can't answer."

"This is my last question, and you will answer me - did Gaara sanction this arrest?" Naruto asked firmly.

Kankuro knew from the hard tone that he wasn't getting out of this without an answer. "No," he begrudgingly admitted.

Temari took a step closer to keep her husband from blowing up at her brother. Naruto took a deep breath and pinched his nose with a sigh. "Then, on whose authority was she …"

"Mine," Kankuro answered before he could finish asking the question.

Naruto slowly unwound his arm from Temari's grip and gave her a reassuring smile. He took a couple steps closer and stood within arm's length of Kankuro. His tall form towered over the puppeteer like a mountain shadowing a plane. "You do realize that this reckless arrest can turn into an international disaster, right?" Naruto asked in a low voice. Seeing Kankuro's hesitant nod, Naruto poked his chest with his finger. "I'm giving you full authority, just this once. I won't ask you anything else, just don't make me clean up your mess afterwards."

"Thank you, Naruto," Kankuro murmured out of Temari's earshot.

Naruto walked back and circled an arm around Temari's waist. "I'll make sure she's with you in an hour. I'd prefer not to waste our tea," Naruto told him. Kankuro opened his mouth to refute but seeing Naruto's mischievous look, and Temari's fond smile, he knew he wasn't winning this argument.

"Fine. Just have her be there on time, will you?" he grunted and walked off the premises.

Naruto walked inside, and Temari closed the door behind them. Leaning her back against the door. "Why didn't you ask him more forcefully?" she asked.

"Don't you remember what he said?" he said, and seeing her adorably confused expression, he added, "he said 'I can't answer.' to all my questions. And that, even as a hint, is a dangerous thing to say. He knew I was questioning him as a superior, and yet, even though it could become dangerous for him, he continued saying so. Whatever intel he has on this, he'll only share with you. And I trust my wife enough to make the right decision with whatever it is Kankuro … " This was all Naruto could add before Temari closed the distance between them and hugged him.