I could not protect my people, I could not protect these guards.

What do I do now?

Her eyes brimmed.

Guilt—an emotion which she strived so hard to suppress for so long finally jolted awake and squeezed her chest painfully, making it hard for her to breath.

She clenched her jaws and turned around, only to stand stock-still at her spot.

Red eyes.

Lurking, floating in the chilling air of the moonless night.

Glaring at her.

Piercing through her soul.

Completely thrown away by the sight of the monster behind her, standing a few feet away from her, near a tree, Kiara cursed loudly and gulped. The suddenness of its presence was bewildering.

Maintaining a constant eye contact with the inhuman breed, she took a step back. That earned her a groan as it stood there, unmoving. The low, guttural growls of the murderous creature reverberated in the cold night air. Kiara was stunned for some seconds. It was the first time she had encountered a creature of this sorts, whatever it was. She had no idea neither about its weaknesses nor its strength.

Now when I think of this, it was such a stupid decision to come.

In the tantalizing darkness, she could only see the blood hued eyes shining brightly. The rest of its body was almost invisible as it was saturated with the surroundings. But she could sense some movement from time to time through her peripheral vision.

A nearly invisible opponent with a significant blood lust.

"I hope Lea finds my body," Kiara sighed.

Eyes lit with diabolical depravity, the creature pounced forward.

Kiara fended off its sudden advance by jumping back, almost stumbling upon the cadavers.

The creature stopped and leaned down a little, shaking—what could be designated as its head—like a wet dog before letting out a deep growl. It stalked towards Kiara.

A predator eyeing its prey.

Kiara's thumb swept lightly at the green stone studded on the hilt of her dagger before she leaned forward and lowered her upper body, bending her right leg and stretching her left one behind— the unknown evil entity creeping towards her still the sole centre of her attention.

The creature let out a loud breath, which hit Kiara right in the face, and stopped dead in its tracks.

Kiara frowned.

But before she could understand anything, a slosh of something like a whip threw her across the area. Her back hit the trunk of a tree.

Suppressing a groan of pain, she was back on her feet, taking quick steps towards the creature which was still standing there watchfully.

"The bastard's playing with me." She noted mentally as her jaw clenched. She felt a trail of blood slithering down her back.

The creature charged at her again, this time with a fiendish growl. Scourging its— what seemed like tentacles to Kiara—in the air.

The Lady dodged the attack, jumping to her left, though another tentacle hit her thigh, tearing through the flesh.

She fell with a groan.

The creature advanced.

Another hit.

She was sent flying right across the field, this time almost hitting the ground with her face down but she had covered her head with her hands, saving her head from the impact.