𝟭. ᴄᴇʀᴇᴍᴏɴʏ ɢᴏɴᴇ ᴡʀᴏɴɢ

1720

1720

It was a grey foggy day on the H.M.S. Dauntless, eleven-year-old Josephine and twelve-year-old Elizabeth were on the bow railing of the ship, facing the sea as they sang softly,

"Yo-ho. Yo-ho. A pirate's life for me. Yo-ho. Yo-ho. It's a pirate's life for me. Drink up, me hearties, yo-ho. Yo-ho. Yo-ho. A pirate's life for me. We extort, we pilfage. We filch, we sack. Drink up..." they gasped as they were turned around to see it was Mr. Gibbs who grasped their shoulders ceasing their singing.

"Quiet, missies. Cursed pirates sail these waters. You want want to call 'em down on us?" Mr. Gibbs lectured them.

"Mr. Gibbs, that will do." A voice mused drawing their attention. James Norrington, lieutenant for the Royal Navy, giving him a hard stare with Weatherby Swann standing next to him.

"They were singing about pirates. Bad luck to sing about pirates with us mired in this unnatural fog—mark my words." Mr. Gibbs advised. The two girls exchanged looks.

"Consider them marked." Norrington lightly joked. He then instructed, "On your way."

"Aye, Lieutenant." He said as he walked away. "Bad luck to have a woman on board, too. Even miniature ones." He added.

"I think it would be rather exciting to meet a pirate." Elizabeth stated.

"They can't be that bad as their read to be." Josephine agreed, nodding.

"Think again, Miss Swann. Miss Smith. Vile and dissolute creatures, the lot of them. I intend to see it that any man who sails under a pirate flag, or wears a brand, gets what he deserves...a short drop and a sudden stop." Norrington explained as he walked up to them. The girls looked confused, not understanding what the last sentence meant. They glanced behind Norrington to see Mr. Gibbs miming a man being hung. Elizabeth let out a small gasp as Josephine gulped.

"Lieutenant Norrington...I appreciate your fervor, but I am concerned about the effect this subject will have upon my daughters." Weatherby expressed his thoughts, walking up to them.

"My apologies, Governor Swann." Norrington muttered before walking away.

"Actually, we find it all fascinating." Josephine admitted.

"Yes. That's what concerns me." Weatherby added, looking at them. They watched as he walked away from them. Elizabeth turned to look at the sea and spotted a small delicate umbrella.

"Jo, come. Look, it's an umbrella." Elizabeth ushered, dragging Josephine with her. They watched as the umbrella passed them. When Josephine couldn't see the umbrella, she turned her head and saw something in the distance. She squinted her eyes, her eyes widened upon seeing an unconscious boy on piece of driftwood.