IV

__________________________________________

The Reckoning
__________________________________________

Klaus, Rebekah and Madeleine were on their way back to Mystic Falls. Klaus was constantly snapping Stefan's neck every time he regained consciousness.

The reason for this was because when Stefan had returned to the warehouse in Chicago, he kept asking questions about Mikael. They all realised he was hiding something at that point. They were determined to find out what.

Rebekah and Madeleine were following behind the van that was transporting the coffins, which held the rest of the Mikaelson family. Madeleine had got a car when they were in Chicago, so the girls could have a bit of peace from Klaus.

As Madeleine drove, she placed her hand on Rebekah's thigh, occasionally rubbing it every now and then. They had just passed the sign for Mystic Falls. Madeleine looked over at Rebekah and said, "How does it feel being back in your home town after 1000 years, Beks?"

Rebekah laughed softly at the girl, looking back at her with a fond look in her eyes. "I mean, I'm sure it's changed a lot since then, Maddie."

"That's very true. But I would find it strange seeing how it is now, but remembering what it was like many years ago." Madeleine spoke truthfully, not being able to comprehend how she would feel if she ever returned to the place she grew up. She may have been around for a long time, but change is still a strange concept to her.

"I suppose you're right. It is weird, Mads. Like I have all these memories of my life growing up, yet the places are nowhere near similar." Rebekah interlocked her fingers with Madeleine's, which were still resting on her lap.

"Hmm. Well, we'll have to create new memories here. Better ones. Just you and me Bekah." Madeleine brought Rebekah's hand up to her lips, pressing a soft kiss to the back of it.

"I would love that very much, Darling."

⚜️⚜️⚜️

Madeleine and Rebekah were stood waiting outside the High school. Klaus had gone inside, in search of the doppelgänger. The couple heard Stefan groan, alerting them that he was finally awake.

"Oh, he lives." Rebekah commented to Madeleine.

"Wow, I thought he wouldn't after the day he's had." Madeleine joked.

Stefan looked at the two girls, confused. "What happened?"

"You took a beating. My brother's been breaking your neck all afternoon. Quite the temper." Rebekah spoke, with false sympathy lacing her voice.