"I believe I was close to achieving your so called inner peace until you interrupted me."

"Sorry." They lapsed into silence and Shadow opened his eyes, tilting his head to the side.

"Why are you asking?" She shrugged, feigning innocence. "(Y/n)."

"Am I a means to an end to you? A salvation? A...a friend?" Shadow stared at her, his lips parting slightly.

"I don't view you as something to be used, if that's what you're asking," he said slowly. She could tell there was more he wanted to say.

"Then what do you think?" He shifted closer and one of her ears twisted back.

"I'll tell you..." He looked down, his ears flattening against his head. "If you let me feel your heartbeat."

"What?" She blinked several times; Shadow didn't lift his head, seemingly embarrassed. "I mean...alright?" She lifted her hand, then thought better of it and pulled back. Shadow finally looked up at her, his ears perking. "Go ahead, I guess."

It was another moment of him seeming to register her consent before he tentatively reached out and grasped her wrist, gently prodding until he found her pulse point. One of his ears twitched as he brushed his fingers gently over her wrist. He looked up to meet her gaze questioningly and she nodded. He reached forward, hesitating before rather abruptly pressing his hand against her chest above her heart. On instinct, she grasped his wrist, closing her eyes briefly.

"(Y/n)..." She opened her eyes again and tried to meet his gaze, but his eyes were locked on their hands. "I think that you are chosen. Not just because of your purity, but because of your heart, your drive and dedication. You are someone to be admired, and...I do." He pulled his hand away from her chest and hers slid off his wrist. Shadow kept his hand raised, one ear twisting backwards. "May I...?"

(Y/n) paused, unsure of what he was asking, before realizing what he meant. "Uh, y-yeah, sure," she said. She rested her hands on the ground behind her as Shadow shifted closer yet again, his hand brushing her neck softly. She refused to flinch, watching him steadily.

"Are you afraid of me?" he asked quietly. She shook her head and his index and middle finger found her pulse point in her neck. She forced her breathing to be even as heat bloomed through her from his touch. "How?"

"Because I know you don't want to hurt me," she whispered. She leaned towards him, lifting her hand to brush her fingers along his forearm. "Despite what you may think, Shadow, you are good. I believe that, and I refuse to be afraid of a part of you that doesn't belong to you."

Shadow stared at her, then his hand on her neck shifted to gently cradle her jaw and pull her closer. Her eyes widened slightly and she was suddenly acutely aware of every feeling and sensation.

"(Y/n), do you trust me?"

She did. "I do."

A moment of tense silence, then the barest brush of his lips across her own. The heat was enough to steal her breath, but the sensation itself forced her to brace herself against the floor. Her eyes fell closed and she leaned towards him. Shadow pressed closer, though each movement was tentative.

This is not what you're here for. He's possessed. He's not fully himself. This is not what he needs.

(Y/n) pulled away from him, sucking in a deep breath. "I have to go," she said breathlessly. Shadow's eyes opened slowly, his ears slowly standing up. She pushed herself hastily to her feet and stumbled to the door, only glancing back as Shadow called her name softly.

"I meant it." She stared at him with wide eyes and flat ears, her whole body burning, and she wasn't entirely sure if it was wholly from the unnatural heat permeating the air. She opened her mouth, her hand pressing to the door.