So when I saw Logan crying one afternoon that created another core memory for me. A memory that was a replica of the many times I saw my mom crying and upset like that. That's when I saw Logan not as this scary, strict grown man but rather someone who I could trust and give all my love to and expect it in return. Truly, that moment was when I saw Logan as my dad.

My dads would tell anyone that asked though that parenting wasn't easy. There were still a few hardships and adjustments but they were honestly the best dads I could ask for. They cared for me and that's all fathers needed to do.

***

"Shut the fu... I'm gonna cry."

Virgil was choking on his words as he held Patton's new book between his legs, as he sat in a ball on the comfy blue living room sofa, a few ripped pillows behind his back damaged through years of use. Beside him Logan was peaking over his shoulder, an arm around him as he kissed the cheek of his crying husband.

"I think you're already crying My Star." The other father joked, giving a loving glance to his husband before turning back to his adult son sitting on the other sofa. "This is written really well Pat, you know we're proud of you." Logan couldn't stop smiling at his son, he didn't think he ever frowned at him in the years Logan was a father. Patton was smiling back at him just as happily, his eyes on the manuscript for his new book, although it was hard to believe Logan wasn't looking at some silly first grade drawing.

Patton's blue eyes were still as bright as they shone when he began first grade, his smile as wide as his third birthday party. Nothing much had changed surprisingly, the couple still lived in the same house they bought in their thirties even though they were seeing the dawn of sixty, they were still as active with their family, and both parents absolutely adored their only son to no end.

"Eh, it's alright, I might do some changes with the order so it doesn't look like I'm just trauma-dumping the stuff about Mom." Patton mumbled to himself, twirling his fingers abstractly as he was imagining the tale he really wanted to tell. The young man was a college graduate with a creative writing minor so he knew all the theories that his parents would never understand.

A few sniffles interrupted Patton's negative thoughts about the amazing biography he'd written at the young age of twenty-five, and Virgil raised his head as he tried to pull an angry look through all his emotions. Virgil uttered an empty threat that seemed impossible to complete with the number of tears on his cheeks in that moment. "If you say this is badly written I'll just cry more."

Patton giggled his usually happy giggle and watched Logan playfully poke his soulmate's cheek before rolling his eyes. Small Patton would never believe a man could be so kind and caring, but then he found two male angels, and now adult Patton hardly thought about the violence he heard in his early life unless he forced himself to introspect. But Logan and Virgil truly did care for each other.

"Do you need another hug Dad?"

Virgil attached himself to his son with no hesitation and clutched him like he'd disappear otherwise. But he knew Patton would never disappear. These two awkward introverts meant the world to the happy-go-lucky, dad-of-the-group, optimistic Patton.

"I hate you had a growth spirt." Virgil eventually managed to utter out past the tears, and he laughed a little as Logan joined them in the embrace. Patton was freakishly tall seeming his biological mother and uncle were shorter than average – he surprised everyone when he just started sprouting up during high school. Now Virgil's hug meant the man had to lean on his son's chest. "Why couldn't you just stay the small little toddler in my arms?"

"Because I'm pretty sure I'd collapse from exhaustion." Logan answered back just as quickly, getting flashbacks of Patton's many sprints when he got excited in playgrounds and theme parks and beaches. "Sorry your dad's a little teary kiddo – it's the time of the month."

"Existential crisis time?"

"You know it." The three laughed at this predicament that happened almost every single month since Patton first moved off to college. Virgil just became an emotional wreck when faced with the immense proudness he felt for his son, Logan was at times too but he learnt how to healthily hold it in. "I don't think Thomas' kid actually helps when Starlight's like this."

Again Patton was rendered to silence watching Logan carefully drag Virgil away from suffocating their offspring, speaking gentle words about how Patton was an amazing kid who had fully flown the nest now and was on a new stage of life (the same talk happened every single time Virgil got emotional like this). "Now we can be like Roman, yeah My Star?" Logan cooed as he wiped Virgil's cheek and kissed his forehead. "You've reduced your work hours and I'm working towards a better pension for retirement... eventually." Eventually will be in a few years' time, but the talk of retirement had been in the works for a couple of years since Logan would adore just spending time with his husband again now Patton had been living away for a few years. "We'll prepare for our next stage of life – maybe we can take a note out of Emile and Remy's book and travel around Europe together! Patton's happy now."

It seemed like a better time than ever for Patton to reveal a plan he'd been having for quite a few months. He'd kept it a secret from everyone, even his parents, until he knew such a thing was going to happen. Thomas almost let it slip a few times but the pinky promise they made stayed true and no-one knew that Patton was going to start his own journey just like Virgil and Logan did around twenty-three years ago.

"I'm actually starting a new stage of life too..." Logan and Virgil immediately silenced as soon as Patton spoke, raising their heads like owls. "I'm adopting!"

Virgil started crying again and attached himself to Patton, but Logan had to hug his son this time too. Words immediately came spilling out about how far along Patton was in the adoption process and if there was anything either of them could do to help financially. "I've got all that covered Dads, you just need to sign a reference!" Both nearly-grandparents gleamed at the piece of paper they were given.

And a few months later Patton came to visit again with his own nervous kindergartener from a troubled past. He was called Gavin, he was the funniest little rascal, and he was absolutely adored by his new family just like Patton was all those years ago.