Invisible love N.R

Start from the beginning

"She didn't even realise it was Mother's Day until I told her." You said as you placed the dishes into the dishwasher.

"Well, that's how she is."

"But it's been 20 years. Surely she would have known by now." You took out the apple juice from the fridge and poured yourself a glass.

"Not like you did anything for the past 19 years."

"Geez, there's no need to expose me like this. At least I'm over here trying now."

---

Even though your mum didn't say she needed anything, you brought up her coffee after a while, knowing she'd like a refill with a freshly brewed coffee. You gently knocked on her door and smiled when she turned to look at you. "How I wished it was Mother's Day everyday."

"Nuh uh. It would lose its significance." You plopped down on her bed, getting comfy. "Imma stay here for a while." You sighed in content, your mum's bed just feels different even though everyone has the same bed. Perhaps, it was due to your mother's scent that provided comfort to you or the way she didn't jump on her bed that made the tension different. Very quickly you drifted off to sleep.

Natasha POV
Light snores can be heard from my bed and I saw my angel sleeping on my bed peacefully. I told myself, I wasn't going to be working all day today when Y/N was making an effort to make it a special day.

I caught myself admiring my daughter's sleeping features and went back to work. I was always amazed at her ability to sleep almost anywhere at any time despite the noise.

After a couple of hours, I packed up my stuff on the table and went to wake Y/N up. I was surprised at the hours she was able to sleep and continue on sleeping at night.

"Y/N... Angel..." I cooed lightly and stroked her cheeks. "It's almost time for dinner." I whispered, trying to wake her up. She whined and turned away, continuing to sleep. I chuckled lightly before turning her back again and pulling her up to a sitting position.

"Come on angel, you have to eat."

"Okay okay, I'm up." She stretched herself but her eyes were still closed. With a yawn, she flopped back down the bed and I had to pull her up again. "Fine..." She got out of bed and went to the washroom to freshen up.

"I'll be waiting for you downstairs." I shouted so she could hear me.

"Okay!" I received a reply and went down knowing she wouldn't go back to sleep. It took a while, but Y/N came down the last, the rest of us already had food on our plates and was waiting for her to come down.

"Fell asleep in the washroom?" I wrapped my arms around her shoulders, rubbing her arms up and down.

She chuckled slightly. "Might have done something like that." I shook my head, where did she get the genes of sleeping? After thanking Wanda for her dinner, everyone began eating and talking about their day.

The team decided to have a simple movie night to end the day and there was no reason to decline so Y/N snuggled up to me with our blanket. Tony told FRIDAY to put on Inception and dim the lights.

Throughout the movie, Y/N had her arms around my waist even though we were already really close due to the fact that we were sharing a blanket. It was as if I was her personal pillow which made me smile internally. It was supposed to be Mother's Day but it seemed to be comforting her more.

Most teenagers by now would have created a distance with their parents, but I was glad that I was still able to have my angel next to me. It reassured me that I was doing the right thing and that she still likes having me around, she's willing to speak heart to heart to me and rant about her days. She has no idea how much I like hearing what goes on with her life and includes me in it. She's a god sent and I'll never let her go.

And my dear daughter has once again fallen asleep during the movie and my heart squeezed that she was able to find her comfort spot on me. I quietly let the team know and carried Y/N back to her bed.

After making sure that Y/N was well tucked in, I went back to my room to rest as well. I was smiling the entire way as I thought about Y/N, raising a child was not easy but the rewards weigh way greater than the tough times.

(omg, i'm only finally starting to write the part which motivated me to write this one shot)

A bright colour letter on my desk caught my attention. I didn't remember seeing it there when I was packing my desk earlier. As I walked closer to it to see that it was addressed to me. I flipped open the letter and saw from the handwriting that it was from Y/N.

Dear mama,

First of all, Happy Mother's Day!!!

I hope you enjoy today even though I probably didn't do much. But I promise you I'll try harder each year and make sure it gets better and better!

Let me take this chance to thank you for raising me and apologise in advance for anything that I may do wrong in the future. I know it would not all be smooth sailing, there would be times when you feel like everything is going against you and both of us may say things we do not mean to each other but I know everything will be okay in the end.

I started tearing up and took a seat at my desk before continuing reading the letter

How many times have I missed the dinner you cooked? Or forgot to ask what you want for your birthday, what you wished for your birthday? You have been by my side all the time but I never really noticed.

I forgot to hold the umbrella for you when it was raining. And exactly how many bills have you paid for me without me knowing. It's not cheap raising a child.

This gave me a chance to properly look back and see what you've done for me and I should have done it sooner instead of waiting until this day to do it.

I love you very much. More than any English words could explain how big my love for you is. But I know you would always say you love me more than I do. The invisible love the both of us have for each other, always competing to be the biggest.

I wouldn't wish for anyone else to be my mother.

Y/N Romanoff,
Your daughter, your angel

I wiped my tears from my face when I finished reading her letter. No wonder she was taking such a long time to come down earlier. This has to be the one of the best Mother's Day so far, to receive words of affirmation from your creation.

I went to find Y/N in her room, she was sleeping soundly where I left her.

"Angel..." I cooed.

She groaned before turning away. "I was so close to falling asleep..." She shifted even deeper under the duvet. I didn't care what she said and got into bed with her. Sensing that I was entering her bed, she shifted more towards the center so I had more space.

"My best Mother's Day gift has to be you." I whispered as I held her in my arms.

Written on 7 May 2022
Posted on 10 May 2022

I honestly don't know what's the focal point here, being able to sleep or Mother's day?