Baking N.R

Your POV
During COVID, your girlfriend has been trying to be better in the kitchen. She has gotten slightly used to cooking but baking was another story.

Some may say that baking is easier since everything can be measure. But you see, at least it was possible to salvage what she had cooked with a bit of salt and seasoning, but when it came to baking, it was a lot harder. It was a done deal, you wouldn't know how it tasted until you were done baking.

Unfortunately for me, Nat got into baking recently. She was baking a lot more than cooking. And it was so hard for me to tell her that it didn't taste quite right. I mean... how was I supposed to lie to her? She would find out eventually by taking a bite.

It has been a few weeks of attempting to bake and it has been a few weeks of me trying her cake. Sometimes it was so bad that it was hard to swallow but sometimes it was edible but not pleasant.

I had just come back from a mission. Even though it was COVID, the mission did not stop. It just meant that there were slightly fewer missions since most people are at home and the bad guys have a lower chance of striking.

Everyone was crowding around Natasha as she brought out the cake from the oven. Those unsuspecting people reached out to steal a bite but she swatted their hand away as she was not done with it yet.

"What's going on around here babe?" I let my presence be known to the group of people.

"Babe!!" Nat dropped her gloves and came to hug me. "You are not hurt anywhere are you?" She said after giving me a kiss.

"Nope. I didn't really do much to be honest." I held her close to my waist. "Let me change and I'll come back down yeah?" Nat nodded and gave another kiss before letting me go.

Within minutes, I went down in comfortable clothes just in time to witness Natasha decorating the cake. She just finished putting the icing on the cake and turned to face me. Everyone was eying the cake but they knew not to touch since Natasha would most probably chop their hands off.

Being the cheeky me, I peeled off the side of the cake to have a taste. And it was also to protect them.

"Mhmmm." I nodded my head. "Not bad... Nat." I slowly pulled the plate closer to me and bolted off with it. I winked at Nat and the rest before running off to my office to finish the paperwork for the mission and snack on Nat's cake at the same time.

As I thought, Nat's cake wasn't all that good. Had I let the team take the first bite, I wouldn't know what kind of reaction they would portray since they probably had high expectations from her, not knowing her past failures. Natasha has finally found a hobby instead of constantly working and I wouldn't want her to revert back to her old action just because of some unintentional comment from her teammates.

At least this wasn't the worst cake.

Well, I was hungry coming back from a mission so that probably had a part to play. Most food tastes nice when you are hungry. I was almost halfway done with the cake when Natasha came in.

"Hi Nat." I pulled her down on my lap before she could do anything.

"Are you almost done with your report?" Nat picked up the paper and scanned what I had written.

"Almost. Why don't you write it for me while I eat your cake?" I was determined to finish her cake this time.

"Sure." Nat got up and sat on another chair so I could eat in peace. She clicked the pen and waited for me to dictate what to write.

I left my seat for a moment to get water because the cake was sooo dry. I don't even know how I got through half of it without drinking. When I returned, I offered Nat a sip which she accepted.

All I'm hoping for is that I don't get an upset stomach tomorrow so I don't have to explain why.

"Do you want to look through before I help you send it off to Nick?" Natasha asked as she finished writing the last part.

"I'll read, but just to see your beautiful handwriting."

>time skip<

The next morning I woke up in Nat's arms and waited for a while. Okay, no stomach churning, I should be alright. Nat always loves to cocoon me so I could never slip off without her knowing.

"I love you." Nat spoke from behind my back. I turned over and gave her a kiss.

"Love you too." I scrunch my nose. "I love it, but why did you change your morning sentence? You normally say 'morning, love'. Now I am going to think about it all day."

"I know what you did yesterday."

"Oh..." I widened my eyes. "The cake was honestly not bad. I managed to finish it."

"Well I definitely didn't think it was as nice as you thought it was."

"I didn't want to discourage you... You finally found something you like to do. I didn't know how the team was going to react if I didn't take it away first."

"That's why I love you. I love you to the moon and back."

"Don't worry Nat, you're getting better. You're improving each time you bake. And I'll eat it each time you're done baking."

Written on 22 Oct 2021
Posted on 24 Feb 2022

Inspired by an episode in Shadow of Justice (Hong Kong Drama).

I kinda like this. ☺️