|| 𝐖𝐡𝐚𝐭 𝐈 𝐀𝐊 𝐂𝐚𝐩𝐚𝐛𝐥𝐞 𝐎𝐟 ||

Začít od začátku

By then, the pain in her head had diminished and the healing of her vocal cords quickened. The blood certainly helped but the hunger was still there. Samsa feared it would remain just as strong until she and her duplicate were merged again. 

"Right now, your double is unaware that we know she switched your places. Spock said it should stay that way so she thinks she has the upper hand." 

"What about...what about J-Jim?" Samsa managed to croak. The two beside her exchanged a glance, increasing her fears.

"He's okay," Carol quickly said. "But the duplication seems to have weakened his double. Commander Spock has been overseeing observations of the small animal from Alfa 177 who was also split to see if it experiences similar effects."

"Which reminds me," Mason began, opening his communicator. "I best tell him that we found you." He squeezed her hand softly before getting to his feet to make the call.

Samsa took a few deep breaths, reminding herself that everything was under control. Jim was okay. She flinched when another hand curled around her own. She met Carol's eyes and the woman smiled at her reassuringly.

"My...my double," Samsa said. She winced at the throbbing in her throat. "I know sh-she spoke to you and...and compelled you-"

Carol shook her head. "It's not your fault."

"But it's still me-"

"Samsa." Carol cut her off and put a comforting arm around her shoulders. "It's okay. We can talk about it later. Right now, I'm more worried about you." 

The Sanguine wanted to protest. She wanted to apologise a thousand times over. Carol didn't deserve to be treated in such a way, regardless of the circumstances. However, she never got the chance as Mason came back to her side. 

"Spock is on his way to the Medbay with a group of security officers. They plan to put the doubles in the brig until the transporter is back to normal."

"How long is that going to take?" Carol asked with a grave expression.

"Scotty said if we're lucky, he could have it done within the hour." Mason knelt and took Samsa's hand. "It's almost over, Sams."

She managed a relieved smile at his words and lent against his shoulder, fighting back tears. Ideally, it would be almost over. Everything would be back to normal. But she already knew that was impossible. After seeing the darker sides of their nature, Samsa doubted she and Jim would ever be the same again. 

☆☆☆

The darker Samsa refused to believe that the love of her life was dying. Yet the monitor on the wall displaying his deteriorating vital signs revealed the truth. Considering the ship had been alerted of his condition, she didn't have long before she was expected to make an appearance. 

Those left on the surface of Alfa 177 had been in touch twice, asking for updates. Samsa needed to move soon, otherwise, the transporter would be fixed and the landing party's duality would remain trapped. She had already brainstormed several escape methods. If it came to violence, she had both a phaser and the nearest Medkit filled with multiple tools to choose from.

"Could I even survive without him?" The other Jim asked, breaking the silence that had enveloped the Medbay.

"I doubt it, Jim." McCoy glanced up from his Datapad to analyse the wall monitor. "What I do know is that we all have our darker sides. Hell, we need them! It's half of what we are. It's human."

"Human." Jim murmured the word as if it were a curse. 

"That's right. Human. A lot of what he is makes you the man you are. God forbid I should have to agree with Spock, but he was right. You know what I'm trying to say, don't you, Blondie?"