Chapter 43: Yohan's Reward

Start from the beginning

"What is it?" I asked Leonardo while patting Lulu's back.

Leonardo closed his hand as he climb to the rails of the veranda. The merchant look at the sky when the lightning and thunder started to disappear. "Come back to the banquet after making your son asleep."

A smirk appeared on his face.

"Something interesting happened in the banquet," Leonardo told me. "When the Duke announced the marriage between Gabriel and Lady Maria. The king requested an audience with them. Did you know what your brother did?"

G--Gabriel?

"Your brother asked the King to grant him the golden estate of the kingdom as his gift for his incoming marriage," Leonardo said with a chuckle. "Gabriel also asked if the king could give him one of his portraits to him."

WTF, Portrait?!

Lulu who groggily leaned on my shoulder also glanced at Leonardo.

"You should have seen the King's reaction when Gabriel told him that he'll treat it as treasure and display it in his treasure room. How shameless, we both know what happened to the posters of King Ian in Gabriel's hand."

"What the hell... happened?" I mumbled. I stared blankly at the rails before placing my other hand on my lips. "Gabriel... My little baby brother..."

I know that Gabriel is shameless, but please do not commit an act of treason with Ian's Portrait!

"Just where did he learn that?" I mumbled.

Oh, probably from me...

••••••••••••

"I didn't know that the heir of Marquiss Mikhail Antonio is such a... unique person," Ian dumbfoundedly mumbled while staring at Gabriel who has a smile on his face. 

"U-unique... Indeed."

Ian, the king of the Ibanez kingdom, who had faced different kinds of people, couldn't hide his dumbfounded face when Gabriel, the lost heir of Antonio Mikhail, asked him a shameless request about gifting them golden estates and one of his portraits...

After the announcement of Gabriel's return and his engagement with Maria Eleonor, who also previously returned to her father, Ian just wanted to give them his greetings and ask about Gabriella.

However, he was caught off guard when Gabriel asked him this shameless question in front of Duke Evan, Maria Eleonor, and the other members of the Velasquez clan.

"Your Majesty, hand me the golden estate as your congratulatory gift for my incoming marriage with Duke Evan's daughter. Can I also have one of your portraits? I'll treat it as a treasure and display it in my treasure room."

The people who were listening were dumbfounded when Gabriel announced those words in front of him. It was a good thing that only a few people heard that shameless request.

There will be a loud fuss if this comes out to the nobles.

"Pffft, Indeed, how unique of you, Lord Gabriel," A voice of a giggling woman interrupted the awkwardness. "I didn't know that my future husband could make such a cute demand, but you shouldn't ask his highness in that manner."

Gabriel who had a stern look on his face blushed when Maria Eleonor said that. The woman pulled him closer to her as she whispered something in his ear.

"Don't be petty, Gab."

"I am not, I was just kidding," Gabriel mumbled.

"It was nice to see you once again, Lady Maria Eleonor," Ian conveyed as soon as he recover from his dumbfounded expression. "It's been 5 years since we last met, that wasn't a great departure, but... I am glad to see you well, you've changed dramatically."

Maria Eleonor glanced at the King with expressionless eyes.

"Yes, your highness, it's been a while," Maria Eleonor replied. "However, I wouldn't want to recall what happened 5 years ago, it would be better to not mention everything that happened in the past, your highness."

Ian paused as soon as he received that cold reply from Maria Eleonor. This is different from what he could remember about Maria in the past. A cold smile appeared on his face as he nodded his head.

The truth is he wanted Maria Eleonor to apologize for hurting his Queen 5 years ago, but he promised to the Duke that he'll pardon his daughter just for that one event. 

That's right, what happened to the past shall be forgotten.

"I understand," Ian replied with a smile. "To change the topic, I would like to converse with your Unique betrothed," the king paused before looking at Gabriel. "Why do you want to have the golden estate?"

Gabriel made a surprised reaction on his face when Ian mentioned the golden estate. He playfully placed his hand on his mouth while staring at the King with wide eyes.

"Why do you... look surprised?" Ian asked.

Gabriel continued to act shocked which made Maria giggle secretly.

"I was surprised that His highness mentioned the Golden Estate..."

"but not my request about your portrait."

Yes, Gabriel is copying his sister's shameless reactions.

When he was younger, Gabriel realized that Gabriella's shameless reaction is effective when you want to make fun of someone without directly offending them, it is 100% effective if you want to act petty safely. 

••••••••••

"That Uncwle is funny, he lwooks like Auwntie Gabriella," Yohan, the crown prince of the Ibanez kingdom was watching his father with his Uncle Evan on the side. "He must be her brother."

"Indeed, and he's marrying my daughter, Maria Eleonor."

"Daughter? Unclwe has another daughter and she's marrying Auwntie's brother?" Yohan questioned. "But Uncwle is also marrying Auwntie Gabriella. Unclwe's family tree sounds a little messy."

Evan closed his eyes as he patted Yohan's head. 

"But it's owkay, I'll be part of Unclwe's family if your next daughter came out," Yohan mumbled as he stares at Evan. "So, marry Auntie immediately, you like her, don't you?"

Yohan remembered how Evan looked at Gabriella when he saw them in the garden. That's how his father looks at his mother queen whenever they spend time together. Yohan cannot be mistaken, his uncle does like Gabriella.

Like...

Evan became silent for a moment.

He didn't realize that his stoic face was turning slightly pink.

"Like..." Evan mumbled when he recalled Gabriella. "It's not impossible."

"If unclwe is slow, other people will come and propose to her," Yohan told to Evan when he heard what he said. "And Gabriella's child seemed to hate you and me, he's scary, is he going to become my brwother-in-law?"

"Young prince," Evan mumbled with his usual stiff tone. "You are aware that your father will send me to a faraway land for a mission. It will take me a long time to come back," Evan told to the child.

"I can't marry Gabriella."

Yohan's mouth gapped when he heard it.

"Then..." Yohan mumbled. "After Uncwle's mission, come back healthily, I'll give you a reward."

"Reward?" Evan asked.

The next words from the young prince made Evan lose his stern face with a surprised expression on his face.

"Come back immediately, Uncle Evan," Yohan told him with a serious face. "I'll ask my father king to release the order of a marriage decree between Uncle and Auntie Gabriella."

His wife shall be born.

••••••

Hello!!! I unpublished this chapter a while ago because I wasn't sure if I should really publish it hehe.