Chapter 20: The Sly Selena

"Ha~ Selena, Where's my fan?" I asked Selena when the Duke left me dumbfounded. Although I was still shocked by his confession about his daughter, I didn't have the heart to scold him or slap him.

The truth is I am pissed with his words. Maria, is just his 'Responsibility' just imagine how much pain that word could cause to her? Ah, no, I bet Maria already knows it. She knows it from the beginning.

A frown on my face appeared while thinking of my conversation with the Duke.

F*ck his responsibility, At least now I know that running away with Maria is a great choice! If he doesn't love Maria, then f*ck off! I and my brother will do it!

I know that he is a great person, a great leader to be precise, but it's just irritating me! If he only showed at least a little bit of care for his daughter, then maybe it will never turn into this! If he only showed enough care that can prevent Maria from breaking...

But I know that the Duke wasn't the worst person. The fact that he is trying to make it up with his daughter is the best evidence for that.

He just f*cking did it at the wrong timing!

"Here, My Lady" I went back to my senses when Selena gave me my fan. I quickly opened it and use it for myself. I glanced at the butler who was now guiding us to Maria, I secretly puffed my cheeks while trying to guess his age.

I bet that he is also like Nico, our butler.

"Selena..." I whispered to my Lady-in-waiting. She quickly glanced at me. 

"What is it, My Lady?"

"Did you know what type of language did the Duke used a while ago?" I asked. I was pertaining when the Duke used french when he said something to me. I don't understand French but I know that it is french. I'm not just sure if they call that language 'french' here.

"If I am not mistaken, it was one of the 3 forgotten languages from the fallen Era of Ibanez. Only a Monarch could understand it, but since the Duke's family is one of the oldest families in the history, it's not that surprising if the Duke could use that language."

"I didn't know about that 3 forgotten language, your kinda sus, How did you know it, Selena?" I asked while squinting my eyes at her.

"I am your greatest informant, I am surprised that you're still underestimating me, My Lady" Selena whispered to me. 

Ah right, I forgot to tell you that Selena is not just my Lady-in-waiting. This woman is the greatest informant of the merchant's guild. In short, Selena is a spy.

Sighs.

I guess in this life I am a normal person who was surrounded by the best people.

I requested Selena to spy on my father for years, that's why she's in my father's manor. She's the reason despite being away from the Velasquez Household, I am still aware of their well-being. 

She can also gather information about those nobles while staying in Velasquez's household. So,  It's like hitting two birds with one stone.

She's really good at digging information. The truth is her skill is truly terrifying, if she ever betrays us, then we're done, but I know that she won't do it and she has no reason to do it.

It was because of her Identity.

Let say that Selena has a noble blood but fruit of a forbidden love. She needs our connections to hide her identity and we need her for our business. Other than that, I can't say anything more about her.

"Lady Gabriella, we've arrived." The butler of the Duke announced. "Let me inform our Young Miss," He said politely. I quickly nodded and signaled him to do what he needed to do.

I guess I can't really be shameless at the Duke's manor.

When the butler went away o inform Maria, I immediately turned my eyes on Selena who was quietly standing behind me. "Do you know how to speak that language?" I asked her, Selena raised her head and she smiled at me.

I frowned when I saw that sly smile.

"I don't know yet..." Selena paused. "But who knows? If I only have more money, I might know it right away~" 

"What a sly fox," I uttered as I rolled my eyes at her. I averted my eyes from her "There's no use of it anyway, I don't have a photographic memory, I don't remember what he exactly said" then I shrugged my shoulders.

"But I do~" Selena replied in a singsong voice.

My eyes immediately went to her. I was about to fall from her trick but I quickly held my tongue and glared at her instead. This is tempting, but I won't fall for that!

"Don't f*cking tempt me, I can't waste money"

"Are you sure, My Lady? The translation is only 1 million gold coins, It's quite cheap since the forgotten language is a 'Rare' Language" She said while gesturing her fingers with a money sign. "Do you want me to give you a discount, My Lady?"

"Stop that, do you wish me to fire you?"

"No, No, I know that My Lady can't do that" An annoying smile appeared on her face. "How could you fire a precious jewel? Aren't I important to you? I'm telling you~ You will never find a person who is as great as me"

"Fine, but I won't talk to you anymore," I said as I crossed my arms.

"That won't happen and I am sure of that, My Lady" Selena placed her hands at her cheeks. "If you don't talk to me then how can you ask for information?"

"Well, you're right" I yielded. I took a deep breath.

"Lady Gabriella is really funny" Selena replied. My lips twitched when she said that. I'd rather have her quiet than having her talking. 

It feels like I'm talking to the second 'Gabriella' since just like her I really love teasing people around. I guess the price of my shamelessness is 'Selena'. 

"Can you just go back to your timid personality?"

"As you wish, My Lady~," She said in a singsong voice. "But if you'll ever need my translation service, Just ready your 1 million gold coins. I am quite sure that the content of the translation is worth it."

I took a deep sigh while shaking my head at her.  "Is it really important?" I asked.

"It depends, My Lady. If you will understand the meaning of the content then It is." She's basically saying that her explanation has a price as well. "Let me give you a hint, It has a connection about that wintered-face Maria,"

Connections to Maria...?

I was about to say something but someone stopped me from talking.

"Gabriella!" I heard a familiar voice out of nowhere. I quickly glanced at Maria who is running in my direction. She has a bright smile on her face. "Gabriella! Finally, you're here" She said in an energetic voice.

However, when her eyes went to the Lady at my back, her facial expression turned Icy. "What are you doing here Selena?" She asked in an annoyed tone. She stopped walking as she glared at Selena.

I almost forgot that Maria knows Selena, and they don't have a really good relationship. Like a cat and dog.

Selena smirked at Gabriella. "Of course, to accompany My Lady. I am her Lady-in-waiting after all." Maria's face became sour when Selena said it. "I guess you're not informed"

Maria glanced at me while pointing at Selena. "Gabriella? You replaced me with that girl?" She while giving me an indifferent look. "That's unacceptable, I'd rather have you choose Melissa than her!"

What? You're supposed to ask for your husband first!