Chapter 8: Master Of Merchants

"My dearest benefactors!" A handsome man with neat blue hair welcomed us.

"You're our--" I was about to talk but my brother cuts me in.

"You're our benefactor, Leonardo"

Hey! That's my line, little rascal!

I wanted to say that but the sad expression on my brother's face when we send off Maria is still there.

Leonardo only replied to us with a smile. He took his eyeglasses out and wore them on his face. The merchant snapped his fingers and a golden paper appeared on his hands.

Magic is really convenient huh?

"If we will measure the ideas of business that both of you had given to us. There is no doubt that the real benefactors are you, The siblings" Leonardo said placing the golden paper on the table. "I deeply apologize for the ruined wedding of yours, Gabriel"

Gabriel took the golden paper. The paper states the business agreement between the Duke of Chavez and the Master of Merchants. It is not just a simple agreement, it is also the validity of a strong connection between the two. 

"I am guilty" Leonardo spoke. There was a slight smile on his face. "If I knew that Maria is the lost daughter of the duke, I will never make a contract with the---"

"Cut the bullsh*it Leonardo" I grabbed the collar on his neck. "Hair as white as snow, it's the main attribute of a Chavez. We both know that you're not a fool to not recognize Maria's real identity for the past 5 years. You have the power to dig information about her"

The people in the countryside may not know this type of info but for a merchant like Leonardo who is knowledgeable about the nobles... 

"As I expected," Leonardo said. "But please calm down Gabriella"

"Calm down? What's your reason for supporting the Duke?" I let go of his collar and sat beside Gabriel. "Explain before I void the business contract between us," I said.

Threatened, Leonardo quickly cleared his throat. "T-there is no need to do that, Gabriella," He said. "I indeed know the real identity of Lady Maria, and it is also true that I have the reason for supporting the Duke of Chavez"

I can sense the 'but' on his explanation.

"But I never told any single information of Lady Maria's whereabouts to the Duke. Our agreement may be the bridge for the duke to find his daughter but I'm not stupid enough to tell it to the duke. Our family's loyalty is only for you,  Gabriel and Gabriella"

I clicked my tongue when I heard his explanation.

"He's us telling the truth" My brother suddenly spoke. "Judging by the status of my wife's father, He doesn't even need Leonardo to find his daughter," My brother gave Leonardo a deadly glare. "Besides Leonardo does know the consequences if he tries to mess up with me or my wife, right?"

"Yes, Of course," Leonardo replied nervously. 

"Fine, I can understand what you're trying to say" I replied. 

The Duke could find Maria anytime he wants, but he only did that now. He doesn't need Leonardo to do that. 

He can even raise a powerful rebellion that could shake the whole empire, finding his daughter won't be a problem for him. 

There must be a reason.

I lifted my feet and placed them on the table. "But if the duke is powerful enough. Why would he create a contract with you? If you need something from him, what does he needs from you?"

"I apologize but that's a secret for now"

"Traitor" I replied while pouting.

"Sister..." Gabriel said. "Stop acting childishly and put those feet of yours out of the table"

What the...

"FINE! Hmmph"

"I will expect for you to tell us the exact reason for your actions sooner but that's not our business for today." My brother replied. Gabriel gives back the golden paper to Leonardo. "I need your cooperation as the 'Master of Merchants' Leonardo. You will cooperate with us, right?"

"Of course! Who I am to refuse cooperation with our dearest benefactor? Just tell me what do I need to do?" Leonardo replied.

Gabriel glanced at me. We both nodded our heads. "In five days we will hold a banquet, a powerful person like you will be invited" 

"It's unusual for you to do that. Your wedding was just ruined so what's..." Leonardo stopped talking when he felt Gabriel's deadly gaze. 

"I told you, brother, we should raise a merchant to rival Leonardo's business skill. Look at him, emphasizing that your wedding was ruined" I smirked while whispering to my brother. I am certain that Leonardo heard me said that.

"You're not helping Gabriella" Leonardo frowned. "How could you replace a person who is loyal as me?"

I only smirked at him. 

"Enough sister," My brother frowned. "We still need him, but we might replace him next time. I heard his cousin has potential, he's only 13, if we raise him he can rival Leonardo"

I let out a loud laugh when I saw Leonardo's dumbfounded face. 

This is why I love my little brother HAHAHA.

"Tsk, both of you have never changed," Leonardo said. "But I won't mind if you'll choose Leo as my replacement, that kid has great potential" Leonardo's expression suddenly changed into a warm look. 

Such a caring cousin. I heard that Leo's parents died and he was adopted as Leonardo and Melissa's sibling.

"Anyway, may I ask what kind of banquet are you talking about? Judging from your reaction, that banquet doesn't seem to be simple"

"You're correct" My brother replied. A glint of determination suddenly appeared in his eyes. "The banquet will be held for the come back of the two prodigal children. It might also become the announcement for the long lost heir of the Velasquez Household"

Leonardo's eyes went wide while looking at us.

Leonardo and his parents except Melissa knew our family background, but they didn't utter anything about it since then. 

I don't want my brother to be involved with the Velasquez family, so I asked them to not talk about it anymore. 

That's why Leonardo was shocked when my brother said that.

"Your sister finally told you" 

"So you know it either but you never told me" Gabriel blankly replied.

I was almost startled when my brother said that. 

Leonardo nodded his head "Your sister told us to not talk about it anymore..."

Leonardo, You're a traitor. I won't forget this day!

Gabriel didn't bother to pay attention to Leonardo's statement, He knew that I did it for him.

"The Velasquez household tried to gain your connection but you refused" My brother crossed his arms while looking at Leonardo. "I was confused why you keep on refusing them since Marquiss Antonio is powerful but now I know the answer"

Leonardo shrugged his shoulders "Gabriella's fault" he said.

Fine! I know right.

"If I will come back as the Long lost heir of the Velasquez Household, I cannot come back empty-handed" My brother paused. "Right?"