Part 4. 'It's love's illusions I recall'

Start from the beginning

The brunette laughed and shook her head at the ridiculous nickname, the name had grown on her a little.

"She's... she's beautiful, Mateo. Inside and out... I should have known this would happen."

"Juliana, you've always been surrounded by beautiful women," he tried to reason.

"But none like her," she sighed, "none."

They both stood silently, staring at the tickets, both lost in their own thoughts. It was obvious that no one knew what to do now.

Juliana was madly in love with Valentina, but it wasn't reciprocated.

In just two short weeks they would release statements on social media ending their non-existent relationship in the most impersonal way possible and they probably wouldn't cross paths ever again.

It was that simple.

"Well," the man spoke, interrupting the silence, "I'll call Eva and cancel the plan."

The brunette nodded as she stood, feeling completely disheartened, she lifted her bowl to return it to the kitchen. Even if Valentina wasn't accompanying her, she was still going to San Antonio to celebrate her mother's birthday. And she still had to prepare everything for her trip.

"I'll be packing in my room."

"Uhm... Juliana..." Mateo called, "we have a problem!" He announced, sliding the phone towards her on the table.

He had his chat with Eva open, who strangely had a heart next to her contact information.

EvaC♥️: Done... I already talked to Vale and she was happy to accept. I think she's already packing for her trip.

"Oh no."

*

Juliana had not been wrong.

From the very first moment Lupe and Valentina exchanged pleasantries, her mother had fallen prey to the chestnut's charm.

In the years since Juliana moved to Mexico, every time she came home to visit her mother, she was the centre of attention, the focus of her mother's care and adoration.

But on this occasion, Juliana was abandoned by the door with their suitcases while Lupe guided Valentina into the house, chatting like a couple of best friends who hadn't seen each other in years.

Even Panchito, Lupe's husband, was wearing a shocked expression as he greeted his stepdaughter.

"Juliana, come in and sit down," said her mother when the brunette appeared through the kitchen door. "Where's Panchito?"

"He went to close the workshop."

"Oh, okay. Well... come here. I'm just telling Valentina what you were like as a child. An absolute terror on the bumper carts."

"Ma!" Juliana complained, reluctantly sitting in the chair.

"Shhh, Juli, I'm your mother and I'm getting to know your girlfriend, it's my duty to embarrass you in front of her."

"Lupe..."

Valentina's hand slipping onto hers interrupted her.

"Juls... she's right. It's what moms do," she said, smiling for both women. "Plus, imagining you screaming like a maniac before you crash your car into another child's is hilarious."

"Oh, no. It was even the big ones, Valentina! They all thought they could get revenge but Juliana was too skilled and dodged them easily. She was barely ten years old but sitting behind the wheel was already her thing."