11. Slow Things ♔︎

Start from the beginning

"Nah, I'm good. I got a bubble bath, a glass of wine, and crime TV waiting with my name all over it. Y'all have fun, I'll just talk to y'all later."

"Aight," Kiara nodded her head. "Night sis."

"Night," she gave her sister a little hug. "And good night Cam," she gave him a kiss on the cheek, even though he immediately wiped it away.

"G'night Luna," he shrugged away from her embrace when she moved in to hug him too.

*
*
*

"Hey King," Monie looked up at Kiara when she opened the door for both her and Cameron.

"Hey Monie," Kiara replied.

And neither of them moved after that initial greeting, with Cameron awkwardly standing there wondering if Monie was going to let them in or not.

"And hello," Marco pushed his sister out of the doorway and invited them inside. "I don't know why you standing here being awkward as hell."

"I'm not being awkward," Monie said very... awkwardly.

"Whatever Monique," he closed the door after letting Kiara and Cameron inside.

The two kicked off their shoes and followed Marco to the living room where Ava was already wrapped up in a throw blanket with a bowl of popcorn sitting on her lap.

"Hi Kiara," she got excited like she hadn't just seen her not too long ago at the restaurant. "You can sit next to me," she patted the side of the couch next to her.

"Thank you, Ava," Kiara sat down next to her.

"You play ball?" Was the very first question Marco asked Cameron before he could even get settled in properly.

And the only reason he asked is both because of Cameron's height and because it seems like playing basketball runs in their family.

"No. I run track."

"Like Usain Bolt?"

"Dat the only Jamaican track runner yuh know?"

"I also know Shelly-Anne and Elaine Thompson. Besides them, no. I don't know anymore. You any good though?"

"Mi coach back home said mi can mek it to the Olympics one day if mi train hard enough. So yeh, I think I'm pretty good. Yuh play ball? Dat why yuh ask me?"

"Yeah, I'm a shooting guard and small forward. Well... I was, before we moved here. But I don't doubt I'ma make the team out here. I was ranked one of the top players back in Cook."

"Cook?" Cameron furrowed his eyebrows.

"Chicago," Marco said the actual name of his city instead of the county it's located in. "That's where we from. And it's pretty obvious you from Jamaica, but what part you from?"

"Manchester. Or more specifically, Mandeville."

"Wait, ain't that where Keenan King is from? So you from his side of the family?"

"No," Cameron shook his head. "I'm from Chloe's side. Uncle Keenan's family is from May Pen, not Mandeville."

"I've always wanted to visit Jamaica. Going there is on my bucket list. Really, I just wanna go... anywhere to be honest. We don't travel very much."