Chapter 20- First Sight

Everything has happened so much!
I see in grey, I see in grey
I see blue
- Life's A Beach • Bears In Trees

James had been comfortable with his head on Caspian's chest for the entire night. There was nothing that could ruin the moments between them, not the perfect way that they managed to mould together.

Then Lucy shouted.

Lucy shouted and woke everyone surrounding the once flourishing fire.

"Everybody! Wake up! It's the blue star!"

Wanting to see if it was true, James' head lifted, his shock of blonde locks falling chaotically over his dark eyes. There, in the sky, just as his sister had said, was the blue star.

It was stunning. For a celestial being, it held a certain je ne sais qua. A great beauty that James could never understand. But it was nothing compared the man wrapping his arms around him. No beauty could ever dissever the olive skinned Telmarine's grasp on James' heart.

It didn't take long for the longboats to arrive at the Dawn Treader, and for the larger of the two to begin sailing towards the blue star. James found it upsetting that Eustace couldn't stay beside them as he would've before, but he seemed to enjoy flying through the ocean air. The eldest Pevensie would've done anything to feel that way- truly.

They sailed in the direction for quite some time, but it seemed nerves slipped into the crew. As Drinian approached the usual gang, there was a certain tension in the air.

"The wind has left us." The Captain broke the news to them, causing a series of groans to leave them.

It was a severe problem, but conversations weren't going to fix things like this. James wasn't the only one to understand that: Harvey did too. It was a cause and effect situation. This was the effect.

The two friends shared a look before Edmund spoke up. "So how do we get to Ramandu's island now then?"

"My guess..." Drinian raised a stern brow. "Is something doesn't want us to get there."

"There's no need to get so pessimistic, Drinian." James shrugged, sighing at the man's pettiness. "It's only the wind."

When the bald man nodded, Harvey smirked. "Pevensie one, Captain nil."

Only after shoving the Gallagher boy did Drinian decide that it was time to leave. They shared smile, but the anxiety had riddled itself into their lives. It wasn't going to be easy sailing, if they ever got to sailing at all.

Wouldn't it be easier if something happened?

If anything happened...

After that, James decided to occupy himself by sketching. His leather bound notebook was still in his possession, and with Caspian directly in his eye line, he was an easy target.

It wasn't as if James needed a reference. He could draw Caspian outright from memory a billion times over. His eyes would be forever engraved in the blonde mind. Every feature was a cog in a machine, all collaborating smoothly to create the most perfect human-

James jolted forward, charcoal slipping over the page. Before he could complain, he looked to see the cause, and saw Eustace.

His large clawed feet had grasped the bow of the ship where, and dragged it across the water, using his wings as sails. It was ingenious. Why hadn't he shown such intelligence as a human, rather than a blithering pest.

"Eustace, that's brilliant." Edmund scoffed, using a hand to cast shadows over his eyes to see.

Agreeing fully, and knowing that he had to appreciate his family in some way or another, the eldest Pevensie added. "Very clever, cousin."

This meant they were going to get to Ramandu's island. That meant they were finally doing what they supposed to- but every cloud has a silver lining.

What if this was it?

James would have to go home soon. He had so much to deal with, and barely enough time to breathe. The worst, however, was the now missing Alfie Gallagher. Though James was completely unaware of it, back in England, the Gallagher's mother was being told that both of her boys were missing in action.

If only that was the truth.

• - - •
733
• - - •

Disclaimer!!!!
I don't own anything to do with the Narnia book series or film trilogy. These predominantly belong to C.S. Lewis. However, I do own James Pevensie, Alfie and Harvey Gallagher, and their respective alterations to the storyline.