Chapter 18- Cousin

Have you got colour in your cheeks?
Do you ever get that fear that you can't shift
The type that sticks around like summat in your teeth?
Are there some aces up your sleeve?
Have you no idea that you're in deep?
I dreamt about you nearly every night this week
How many secrets can you keep?
'Cause there's this tune I found that makes me think of you somehow and I play it on repeat
Until I fall asleep
- Do I Wanna Know? • Arctic Monkeys

There was an awkward silence as the group made their way back towards the board. James wasn't yet able to stand on his own, but knew he would soon as whatever sinister magic had ailed him, was leaving his system. He walked, aided by Caspian, alongside his sister.

    They chose to ignore the elephant in the room. Edmund stayed at the back of the group, isolating himself. He knew what he had said and done was wrong, but he didn't know how to make it right.

     Could he ever?

     Between them, refusing to choose sides, was Harvey. The bridge between worlds. He didn't want to get in the way, but he refused to lose anyone.

     "What food did you find?" Caspian questioned upon approaching the crew.

  Sadly, showing the few baskets, Rhince shrugged. "It's volcanic, Your Majesty." He has stated, apologetically. "Not much grows."

  "Thank you." James found the energy to smile, knowing it meant all of the difference. "You've helped us more than you know."

  Before anything else could be done, Lucy's voice cut through the air. "Where's Eustace?"

    Swiftly, James felt a pang in his chest. How did he forget to think of his cousin? Eustace was only a boy, and though things were done differently in Narnia, he still needed to be cared for. He didn't understand it all yet.

    "I believe," Reepicheep decided to put his thoughts into the conversation. Clearly, he wasn't the happiest he could've been. "he's out, not helping us load the boats."

  Concerned, Lucy began to shout. "Eustace! Eustace!" Volcanic steam hissed from the rocks, rising into the air from in the distance. Turning to her brothers, the youngest Pevensie breathed heavily. "I've got a bad feeling."

  Reluctantly, Edmund stepped forwards. "I'll go find him."

  Without a seconds thought, Caspian gave Lucy the sword they'd collected, and stated. "I'll come with you."

  "You're not going without me." James hobbled after his boyfriend, knowing that the two boys would only get into trouble without her.

  Raising a brow, the Telmarine wondered. "You're crippled."

  "I'm determined." said the blonde, fiercely. There was nothing that could stop him. "There's a difference. Where there's a will, there's a way..." he waves a hand in the air. "and all of that nonsense."

  "Harvey?" Edmund asked the Gallagher boy, clearly hoping that he would come and save him.

  "No, I'll stay with Lucy." He smiled, sincerely. "I've had enough magic for one day."

  Sticking his tongue out at his best friend, James chuckled. "Suit yourself."

     The trio of boys clambered up many sets of rocks paths. It wasn't the easiest way to go, but the higher they went, the more land they could see from below.