"Why do you care?"

"Cause I'll be spending a bunch of time with you for the next few months and you treating me like shit doesn't exactly make it better." He spoke calmly. "Just tell me."

"I don't dislike you." She mumbled. "It's just that if fucking sucks to have to pretend to date you."

"But you agreed to it. I don't think I'm that much of a bad company." Kendall chuckled slightly.

"I'm sorry." She shook her head. "You're not that bad in all honesty." He smiled playfully. "It's just that I just got out of a bad break up, so it's harder for me." The brunette sniffled and tried to keep herself from crying.

"Oh I didn't know that." He seemed uncomfortable yet curious now. "I'm sorry to ask this, but was it Leonardo Dicaprio's daughter?"

"Yeah." She bit her cheek.

"Oh, now I get the whole stunt thing." He scratched the back of his neck. "I hope you can figure it out."

"Thanks." Kendall smiled sadly but decided to end the conversation there. The last thing she needed was to be embarrassingly crying around the player. "We should get going now." She cleared her throat.

"Yeah yeah."

• • •

As soon as the mock couple entered the building, Kendall's ears were filled with the unbearable sound of Y/N's voice on her song 'Say It', which the model recognized painfully quickly. It was just then she realized Y/N and Cara were very close and there was an uncomfortably high chance of the singer being there. The thought of seeing Y/N after so long almost sending shivers down her spine.

"You okay?" Devin asked as he put his hand friendly on her back.

"Hm yeah." She snapped out of it. "Let's get drinks." Kendall went into the commotion of the bar and grabbed one cocktail, with Devin doing the same and never getting away from her, for photographer's sakes.

"Kendall? Hey!" The model turned when she heard Taylor Hill calling for her.

"Hey Taylor, it's so cool to see you here." They hugged and the brunette smiled, genuinely enjoying seeing the girl.

"It's been so long isn't it?" She smiled and looked at Devin.

"Right, hm, this is Devin." They shook hands and Taylor playfully wiggled her brows at Kendall, who couldn't bring herself to smile in the slightest.

"It's very nice to meet you. I'll see you around, have fun you guys." She waved nicely.

The pair talked for a bit, Devin whispering into Kendall's ear to let her know they were being photographed and should be more affectionate, very much to the model's despair.

"Kenny!" She turned around and saw her group of friends, which consisted of a very tipsy Hailey, Cara, Gigi, Fai and Justin. The latter made her take a deep breath, since she knew he was Y/N's closest friend ever. She released her breath when the singer stopped by the bar to grab a drink before heading over to her.

"Hey guys." She hugged everyone. "Congrats Cara! The photoshoot was just beautiful, this is huge!"

"Thanks babes, really appreciate it." Kendall smiled and quickly remembered the player behind her, introducing him to everyone.

"Very nice to meet you all. If you excuse me I'll go over there talk to a friend." Devin excused himself politely and everyone bid their goodbyes.

"So you and Devin Booker? Can't say I saw it coming Kenny" Cara asked playfully. She didn't know the whole thing was a set up. Her other friends who were aware all collectively felt an awkward tension.