New Term Rules

"In the cauldron boil and bake, fillet of a Fenny snake. Scale of dragon, tooth of wolf. Witches mummy maw and gulf. Double, double, toil and trouble, fire burn and cauldron bubble. Double, double, toil and trouble, fire burn and cauldron bubble. Double, double, toil and trouble, fire burn and cauldron bubble! Something wicked this way comes." A frog croaked and we all clapped for the Hogwarts Choir.

We sat inside the Great Hall for our Welcome back feast. The students dispersed and Dumbledore stood up to his podium with his hands high in the air.

    "Welcome, welcome to another year at Hogwarts. Now, I'd like to say a few words before we all become too befuddled by our excellent feast. First, I'm pleased to welcome Professor R.J Lupin, who's kindly consented to fill the post of Defense Against The Dark Arts teacher. Good luck, Professor." Dumbledore welcomed him kindly and we all clapped.

    "Of course, that's why he knew to give the both of you the chocolate, Olivia and Harry." Hermione said next to me.

Harry and Ron sat on the other side of the table across from us.

    "Potter." Someone hissed. That someone's voice starting up very early this year. I looked behind Harry and Ron to see Malfoy staring at me and my brother. He had my attention. "Potter!" Draco hissed again making Harry turn around. "Is it true you both fainted?" Malfoy snickered. A Slytherin boy sitting next to him named Pike, mocked fainting towards us. "I mean, you both actually fainted."

    "Shove off, Malfoy." Ron said harshly. He turned Harry back around towards the table and gave me a weak smile.

    "How did he find out?" Harry asked quietly.

    "Good question." I agreed.

    "Just forget it. He's not worth it." Hermione told us.

    "And now, our Care of Magical Creatures teachers for many years, has decided to retire in order to spend more time with his remaining limbs." Dumbledore continued his speech. "Fortunately, I'm delighted to announce that his place will be taken by none other than our own, Rubeus Hagrid."

Dumbledore gestured to Hagrid, who bashfully stood up from the head table after receiving a nudge from McGonagall. His belly knocked into the table making plates and goblets clatter. The room was filled with heavy applause, specially from Harry and I.

    "Finally, on more disquieting note, at the request of the Ministry of Magic, Hogwarts will until further notice, play host to the dementors of Azkaban." Student immediately started to murmur and I got a very unsettling feeling in the pit of my stomach. "Until such a time as Sirius Black is captured. The dementors will be stationed at every entrance to the grounds. Now, whilst I've been assured that their presence will not disrupt our day-to-day activities... a word of caution. Dementors are vicious creatures. They will not distinguish between the one they hunt and the one who gets in their way. Therefore, I must warn each and every one of you to give them no reason to harm you. It is not in the nature of a Dementor to be forgiving. But, you know, happiness can be found, even in the darkest of times. If one only remembers to turn on the light."

I held Dumbledore's word true in my heart, trying not to freak out. The likelihood of running into a dementor should be small. I have absolutely nothing to worry about. That's at least what I kept telling myself anyways. The Great Hall was close to finishing up dinner. Hermione and I quickly went to meet with Professor McGonagall who had given us a look from the head table.

    "Good evening, Miss Potter, Miss Granger." Professor McGonagall greeted us inside the back classroom off the Great Hall.

    "Good evening, Professor." We both replied.