CHAPTER SEVENTEEN

The more energy I was pushing to her, the weaker I knew I was getting. Yet I was only thinking of the human race. They came such a long way, such long way too. Even though we helped here and there and saw those times of turmoil and pain they brought on each other, I also knew there was love out there amongst the humans. They were willing to grow with one another and bring color and happiness to the earth.  It was so evident, and to think we were about to lose them all was unbearable. But this was worth it, in my mind it was worth it. 

This family that I had, the family that I grew to love and accept as my own as we followed these humans throughout time itself was in my thoughts too. I saw all of their flaws from time to time, but I always saw their accomplishments and how they too grew as the humans grew. I loved each of them wholeheartedly, sharing a moment or two with them that I placed deep within my soul. They all loved humans too, in their own minds they did. In the end, I was glad to have known them. And if it was right about my regeneration life, I prayed that I would see them again. 

My energy was now at a simmering low, barely hanging on within me as I was seeing images in the back of my mind of older times. Those simpler moments of being amongst the humans, laughing with the others on the Domo, and even our reunion before days before this.  They were all going in and out of my mind, hearing those voices in my head too as I was slowly slipping and going under. Maybe this was goodbye, the last time I was going to be awake before I would die. I wasn't going to fight this anymore, but I would remember each of them at their happiest.

The Uni-Mind was now slipping away, my energy was no longer there within me as I floated back to the ground. The warmth of the energy that was flowing to me was now dull, the golden light I was seeing behind my closed eyes was now going dark. Before I knew it, I was slipping again and I was falling to the ground on my side.

I blacked out, not an ounce was left in me.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Makkari's POV

"Place her here."

I watched in earnest and worry as Adelyne was placed on Phastos' main workstation in his lab. We were all standing around her as Phastos rearranged her limp body on the table, her black hair flowed over the side and hung in the air. There was almost dimness to her now as we watched her look so lifeless and helpless. No one said a word, no one wanted to move as Phastos was already working on her. 

As joyous as it was that we saved the world, we saw Adelyne's broken body and we thought of the worst. Sersi did stop the Emergence, turning Tiamut to marble thanks to the Uni-mind that she created with the Celestial as well.  It was a miracle that we stopped it in time, finding that the earth was no longer in peril.

We succeeded in our task, but the change was Adelyne's life.

Phastos created with his energy an oxygen mask or sorts, placing it over her nose and mouth to help her breathe. We could see her breathe against the mask and there was hardly any breath left in her. Phastos then walked over to look behind Adelyne at her backside, pausing for a moment before he grimaced a bit. We all watched him, seeing that his eyes were wide as I finally spoke at him.

"What is it?"  I signed to him, seeing him give me a wary look, and then he looked over at Sersi.  She was watching him intensely too, seeing him give a long breath.

"He severed her entire spine."

Myself, Sprite and Sersi gasped out from the news. It was worse than I thought it was going to be, and to see my best friend there with only a sliver of life within her made it feel like I wanted to be sick.  Not Adelyne, not our gentle, sweet, funny and kind Adelyne who would move mountains to protect any of us. We were all grieving in pain now to see her like this, and there was nothing we could do. If Ajak was alive, she would fix her within moments.