CHAPTER THREE

5000 BC

Mesopotamia

Our first battle together happened in a tiny village on the planet.

We were protecting the people from evil beings, monsters of sorts, called Deviants.  They were sinister creatures, destroying anything and everything in their path. Not a single once of good was in them, they were only there to kill. We had to protect them, some of the people were children and most couldn't defend themselves from these creatures. It felt natural to help them, to take out the Deviants, and to take away the threat once and for all.

The thinkers stayed on the Domo, their abilities were not needed in this fight.  The rest of us went down to the surface, already ready to fight pithing a second thought.

Ikaris, an Eternal who had the stature of a leader, took the first strike of defense with his eyes that could blast beams. He seemed sure of himself, flying high with the first bast from his eyes and floating down to the surface with the rest of us.  We all stood in a line, already analyzing the Deviants that surrounded the village ready to strike. 

We all separated already, covering more ground as we fought the creatures with ease.

Another male Eternal, a confident and almost pompous male named Kingo, was using cosmic blasts of sorts from his fingers and was shooting at the Deviant in front of him. It made it look so easy, almost light-hearted as he was shooting blasts rapidly.

Another Eternal, a slender female named Makkari was speeding past in a blink of an eye. She ran fast, so fast she was a mere blur of red from her uniform. Makkari was moving villagers to the side and over to safety, then using a sonic blast of sorts to knock the same Deviant over  permanently.  She looked so gracefully like she was walking on air and almost flying. 

Two more Eternals were fighting together on the other side of the village.  Gilgamesh was one of them, using his intense strength to throw punches, showing no sign of breaking a sweat as he swung his punches left and right.

The other Eternal, next to him was Thena, who was both strikingly beautiful and strikingly deadly with her ability to make weapons with her cosmic energy. She moved with swiftness and struck deadly blows, spearing the Deviants with deadly strikes.

All four of them made fighting Deviants look natural, beyond natural even.  Of course, we were programmed to fight them and detain them from harming the Earth and its inhabitants.  It took me a moment or two to find my fitting, almost a hesitance about me in what I can do to fight the Deviant in front of me.  One smaller creature was towering over a small group of villagers who had no way of sending themselves. I rushed over to help them, throwing out my hands to push out a blast of sorts. The cosmic energy of a force field, almost looking like a roots itself, wrapped around the villagers and looked at the blow that was about to kill them. 

The Deviant growled, looking over at me as I still had my hand out to keep the force field around the defenseless people. It then started running over to me, having me instantly run to him too. I then threw out my other hand, letting the Deviant wrapped with vines. It was stuck within my vine, making me throw a long, sharp vine to the Deviant and flew it high and slamming it onto the ground. The Deviant was instantly killed, taking one last breath before being limp on the ground.

I took in a shaky breath, lowering my hands and making the golden roots disappear.  I was shocked that I did something so quick and so violent at the same time, and yet it felt like second nature to me in doing those things.  All I could think about was protecting the villagers, not wanting a once of blood spilled on the ground.  The humans were fragile, tender, and delicate on this planet.  My instinct was to protect them and help them, and all of the sudden I could use my abilities without me overthinking. 

A tap was felt on my shoulder, having me look over my shoulder.  It was Thena, beaming at me with a gentle smile and a light pep in her step. She gestured over to the dead Deviant in front of me, making me smile

"You killed that Deviant on your own." She said to me, looking so excited in her face.  I nodded my head, seeing her smile get bigger as she continued to speak. "Adelyne, that was amazing!"

"Yeah, it was. I saw the whole damn thing." Gilgamesh said as he walked near to us.

"Thank you." I said to them, seeing Thena nod her head.  The sound of the Domo slowly lowering down to the nearby cliff was heard, making Thena, Gilgamesh and I look.  The villagers walked over in amazement, whereas the five of us walked around them to meet the others that were coming from the ship. They filed out, looking stoic to the humans. They, in return, looked frightened of us and what just happened. I could see it on their face, looking at each of us in both amazement and horror at the same time. They even grabbed their spears and weapons, holding them out and ready to strike us. If only they understood that we were there to protect them, not to harm them. 

Before I could say something in concern, there was a massive shift among the humans. Their eyes were now glowing yellow, almost like the sun. They were no longer moving, almost daughter-in-law in some kind of trance as they all dropped their weapons in their hands. They were no longer tense and ready to fight, nor were they scared. Now they were calm once again, having me look from the villagers over to the rest of the Eternals. I finally saw where it was coming from, more like who it was coming from.

It was a male, slightly smaller in height in comparison to the other males, and was standing so still I thought he was a statue.  He had dark hair, short and pushed away from his eyes, whose now were glowing the same shade of yellow.