𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐓𝐇𝐈𝐑𝐓𝐄𝐄𝐍

Start from the beginning

"Hand him a gun," He orders once more as he lights his death stick without facing them. The silence stretches. He knows everyone was as stupified by his blatant state, even Vanaram when he saw the gun was really loaded, and Vanaram could shoot Rocky dead if he really wanted to.

Taking a deep drag from the cigarette in his mouth, Rocky cocked his head to stare at the once shackled prisoner. Advancing a step back, Rocky announces loudly, "Right from holding the gun to pulling the trigger, keep observing him." He doesn't say anything when they stare at him worriedly, nor does he reassure them about anything.

Turning his head, he looks at the target behind him and then stands at the place where Vanaram has a clear shot at both. This way, the man could prove his loyalty. If he wants revenge for killing the King he once served or if he intends to keep guarding and protecting these walls once more under the rule of the new one. The decision lies in the way he turns the barrel of his gun.

As everyone watches, Vanaram brings the barrel back and closes the break, the gun loaded and ready to fire. Holding the firearm in proper position and keeping his eye on the target, he shoots just inches away from Rocky's heart and hits the shooting target spot on. Whimpers of fear escape the audience's lips, but once they see their new leader is not bleeding dry on the ground, they breathe a sigh of relief.

Rocky looks back to the target that had dents around the bullseye. Shifting his eyes to fix on Vanarma's features, Rocky raises one of his eyebrows and corners of his mouth in appreciation. Vanaram gave back the gun to one of the guards and took a step forward with a short proposal of his own. "I will guard again," The grey-haired guard says, his voice rasping like sandpaper. "But only on my terms."

When Rocky stays quiet, telling him he was listing, Vanaram continues. "Before guarding the main gateway, there is a much significant barrier. There is a check post there. We will need at least three hundred guards to be posted there immediately." Vanaram takes a quick look at his surroundings. At the people who took a step back at his very presence. So he corrects his words, "Trained 300 people."

And would you look at that, his risky investment has already started reaping him some benefits.

***

"You think Adheera and his guards might enter through this Outpost 1?" Aadhya comes to a clear understanding of his thoughts. Rocky, who had been busy looking at the room in fastidious distaste, turned his attention back to his darling at her voice. Never had he thought that he would willingly step into a library. That too in such a ginormous library where the walls were lined with books, the shelves so high that tall ladders set on casters were placed along with them at intervals.

"Well, if what you say about him being alive is true, then his army is not without a leader," Rocky shrugs, occupying the seat on the couch opposite her. He couldn't help but lightly nudge the sleeping dog that lay at Aadhya's feet with his foot. The lazy dog with a squashed face just propped his head onto his shoe in response, sleeping away without care before he could take his leg back. "They will attack soon, and all I need is to send an invitation they cannot ignore."

"Are you sure it's the right decision?" Aadhya says, her brows coming together in concern. "The people here are still scared. If they were to know Adheera is back, they wouldn't even dare to take a step out of their homes."

"But no one knows," Rocky countered softly. "And if Adheera is as cruel and cunning as you say he is, he would wait on a proper plan and then attack." He paused suddenly as if he just figured out something. "Also, how come everyone thinks he is dead when he really isn't? And why did Adheera wait for so long after escaping if his original plan was to kill Garuda as soon as he was announced as the next heir? He had years after that, and if anything, his ego would've been hurt, and he would've wanted to try killing his nephew one more time."