3.5- The Greed of a Pig

Start from the beginning

When we arrived back, we saw a man outside conversing with Wilhelm.

???: If Crusch-sama's goal should be attained, I'm sure it will suit your desires Wilhelm-dono. I expect the best.

They turn their attention to us after noticing our presence, sounds like we walked in on something very interesting...

???: My, how unusual it is to see you! My apologies, I am the treasurer of the capital's merchant guild. My name is Russell Fellow. It's a pleasure to see meet you both. Natsuki Subaru-dono, (L/N) (Y/N)-dono.

He seems like a nice fellow...

——————————————

Subaru: Wilhelm-san... Who was that?

Wilhelm: Russell Fellow. Despite what he said, he is shrewd, dealing in all of the capital's inner and outer financial matters. Now, I was about to head back inside...

Subaru just stared at Wilhelm.

Wilhelm: Do you have something to say?

——————————————

——————————————

Subaru: In three days. People belonging to something called "the Witch's Cult" plan to attack Roswaal's domain. I want to ask for your help in stopping them.

It's useless... In this loop anyway... But I suppose without trying, we won't learn how to do better next time... 

Crusch: Naruhodo... So they have made their move.

Felix: Seems so... Of course, from the moment that Emilia-sama - a half-elf - entered the scene, we foresaw something like this happening.

Crush: I understand the situation. My next question is how you chose me to assist you.

Subaru: Because, to be honest, you seem the most likely to help right now. You've helped, Rem, (Y/N) and me—

Crush: Don't misunderstand. I helped you because I was contracted to do so. If you wish to negotiate, you need to show me what I stand to gain. Otherwise, there is nothing to negotiate. If, with my assistance, you can eliminate the threat posed by the Witch's Cult, what would my profit be? Tell me that.

Subaru: If you help me out with this problem, I'll owe a huge debt to your camp.

Crush: Should I accept that proposal, it would mean Emilia's withdrawal from the royal selection. Do you understand that?

I suppose that was to be expected... But...

Crusch: What were you expecting, Natsuki Subaru. To place one's own domain's survival in the hands of another lord calls into question one's ability to rule the nation. With that in mind, I ask you again... If you incur a debt to me through this deal, it would mean the elimination of Emilia's camp from the race. Are you sure you want that?

Subaru:... Even still... I want your help... If she dies, everything ends anyway...

Literally...

Crusch: Understood. In that case, the Karsten family will render no assistance whatsoever.

Subaru: Huh?

Crusch: First of all, the condition of Emilia's withdrawal, which you offered in desperation as an advantage to me... It carries no weight in this negotiation.