Chapter Six

On the beach, Gabriel smiled at Ashley gratefully, eyes watery, "Thank you, your highness, I truly can't thank you enough!" He bowed low, swept his hat off his long curls and stood. Ashley smiled shyly,
"You're welcome, Captain,"
Gabriel stared at her, visibly taken aback, "Did- Did you just call me 'Captain'?" He asked. Ashley looked at him nervously,
"U-Um, yes?"
Gabriel beamed, "I'm not mad. Just used to being called filthy pirate,"
Ashley turned away, smiling and blushing. Gabriel also blushed. Unbeknownst to them, Bethany had seen this. She suppressed a chuckle. Then she froze. An entirely black ship had pulled alongside The Nightmare. In grey letters were the words The Bloody Shark. Bethany ran to her brother and managed only two words, "He's here!"
Gabriel froze. At these words, the crew ran to get weaponry. Bethany stood in front of Gabriel protectively. Ashley watched nervously.
A ginger man leapt from The Shark. It was rather like looking at a human walrus. He had an enormous moustache and beard. He was clearly older than Gabriel. Cold grey eyes glared at the younger captain. Said captain gave a small yet audible whimper. Soren Blackheart gave a dry laugh, "So you managed to break my curse, Lopez!" He called, stopping six feet away. Bethany had to be restrained by a red haired pirate,  Ellegaard drew a shotgun from her belt and a pirate with hair so short he was almost bald threw a cannonball at the other crew. Several cries rose from Gabriel's own crew.
"Fight 'im Cap'n!"
"We could slaughter all of them!"
"He don't know 'ow to use a blade!"
"SHUT UP!" Bethany's voice rose above the shouts. Everyone fell silent. She looked furious. Ashley noticed a protective glint in her eyes. The younger woman glared at the crew, "WE ALL KNOW WHAT HAPPENED BETWEEN BLACKHEART AND GABRIEL! AND YOU CACKHANDED DECKAPES THINK IT'S A GOOD IDEA TO PRESSURE HIM?!"
There were murmurs of, "No, deputy captain." and, "Sorry, Captain,"
Bethany nodded approvingly and hugged her brother, murmuring something. Soren laughed,
"Look at that! Lopez can't even control his own crew!"
The crew of The Shark laughed mockingly. Gabriel whimpered again. Ashley glared. Gabriel was afraid of Soren! She stood next to the captain and took a deep breath.
"LEAVE HIM ALONE!" She shouted. Soren laughed coldly,
"Look at that, Lopez, got yourself a girlfriend!" His eyes hardened, "But pirates don't love!" And with that, he ran at Gabriel and swung his sword. Gabriel's eyes widened. His breathing became quick and shallow. He crumpled to his knees crying from pain and a memory that had stirred inside him. Ashley felt terrified. Gabriel was a brave man but this Blackheart had reduced him to a bleeding, weeping mess. Bethany broke free of the red haired pirate's grip and stood in front of him. Ashley's fear doubled. Gabriel pushed Bethany aside, out of harm's reach. Somehow this snapped him to reality. He stood and drew his sword. Soren stared in shock. Gabriel's blows were stronger than Soren's and soon enough, Soren was on his knees.
"Gabriel, you wouldn't kill an old friend?!" He said desperately. Gabriel laughed a mirthless laugh,
"No." His eyes hardened, "I wouldn't kill if I can help it because I don't want to stoop to your level of sheer heartlessness! Now go back to your ship, before my crew and I make ya!"
Soren and his crew ran. Gabriel turned back to his crew. Bethany ran forward and hugged him, smiling proudly. When they parted, Gabriel raised his sword in triumph. This was an action that was made throughout the crew with many cheers and shouts of victory.