Chapter Three

The moon shone on the ocean. It should have looked beautiful but it wasn't as beautiful as her home. Ashley gazed out to sea, her eyes glistening with tears. She missed her home and her family. A pirate ship was quite a downgrade from her luxurious cruise ship. She was fairly sure her dress had been torn to shreds too. She'd tried time and time again to escape but she'd just been brought back on board the Siren's Nightmare every day she'd tried to escape. She just couldn't do it. They wanted her, she knew that. She'd known that from the moment that blasted captain had broken into her room like he owned the place. She'd given up hope and thought about faking her death. Of course he'd have a very clever crew member who could bring her back. But then she heard sniffles from outside.

Gabriel was out on deck. He felt something deep down. It was impossible to describe. Tears ran down his cheeks. His mother had been born into piracy and had made the people she'd kidnapped feel welcome. How did you do it, Mamá? He thought desperately. He needed her. Her words of comfort but, try as he might, he couldn't make them come. He sobbed harder. He wanted her to like him. He felt alone out in the night air. Even when she spoke harshly to him, he swore he'd make her welcome but she didn't join him. A harsher voice in his mind spoke You brought her here to use her, she'll make it work! But that would be hard if she didn't like him. The sound of sobs that weren't his own made his stop. He lifted his head. They were coming from Ashley's cabin. He didn't want to go in, his presence would make her worse. Maybe if he showed her that he could be kind, she wouldn't be so angry. After a deep breath, he went and knocked on the door.

Ashley looked up to the see the captain in the doorway. To her surprise, his cheeks were streaked with tears. She blinked, contemplating him. There was silence for a moment before the princess broke it, "Are you alright?" She asked, albeit rather hesitantly. This seemed to surprise the captain for he was silent, eyes wide. Then his expression changed from surprise to grudging, "What's it to you?! You've been calling us filthy for the past five days!"
Ashley heaved a sigh, "Look. Even though I am rather afraid of you, I still care. You are still human and you have feelings, no matter your faults,"
Gabriel smiled at this, "Thanks, princess,"
Ashley smiled ever so slightly, "Don't worry about it, captain,"
Said captain cleared his throat, "I came to see if there was anything I could do to make you feel better. I heard you crying,"
Ashley scoffed, "Oh no, taking me away from my family and home is the best surprise ever!" She glared at him, "Take me home,"
"No can do," The captain picked at the loose string on the sleeve of his cloak again. Ashley groaned. Of course. She'd tried to escape. Taking her home was clearly out of the question. She sighed, "At least tell your crew to stop making me like you lot. My dress has been ripped to shreds!"
Gabriel looked up at her, "I think the younger ones must have gotten excited!" He chuckled. Ashley raised an eyebrow,
"Younger ones?" She echoed. Gabriel smiled, amused,
"Of course younger ones! We rescued them from wrecks, we're not entirely heartless!"
Ashley's eyes widened, "Oh... I didn't realize that... I thought you just stole and tormented," She said quietly before glaring once again, "and... and KIDNAPPED!" She snapped. Gabriel heaved a sigh of his own,
"Look, lassy, give us a bit of time and we can show you you aren't as bad as people make us sound," He said, almost desperately. Ashley scoffed again, "We'll see about that. You literally took me away from my home! What makes you think I'll be happy about that? Let alone befriend any of you?!"
Gabriel sighed, "Just give us some time," His eyes sparkled like a young, pleading puppy, "Please," He muttered. Ashley teared up and her voice cracked, much to her surprise as well as Gabriel's, "I still can't believe you!"
Gabriel looked defeated, "Fine," He whispered, "I get why you hate us.... Why you hate me...."
There was a heavy silence in which the princess murmured, "It's not that I hate you... I feel so out of place and I wanna go home!"
Gabriel was tearing up, almost accepting defeat, "Then let me help you,"
This was the limit, "HELP me? How do you plan on doing that?!" She spat. Gabriel looked away, "I..." He suppressed a sob, "I don't know how but I know I could!"
Ashley rose to her feet, absolutely fuming, "This must be a joke! You brutally kidnap me after robbing my ship, and now you want to HELP me?!" She looked near slapping him. The great captain sobbed, "Yes! I know I've been awful but let me show you that we aren't so bad!" He dropped to his knees. He looked helpless, "I beg of you...."
Ashley looked at him skeptically, "How can I trust you?"
The captain was getting desperate, "Because I'll swear on my life. I'll make a promise in blood! A promise is a promise if it's made in blood...."
The princess paled, "Don't do anything in blood," She gagged, "I can't stand the foul liquid,"
Gabriel looked up at her pleadingly, "Then how can I prove you can trust me?" He said weakly. Ashley gave him a look,
""Who knows... you might have your moment... but you must earn my trust, it won't come easy," She said slowly. Gabriel smiled and stood up. He bowed to her (she had a feeling it was a genuine bow this time), "Goodnight, princess,"
Ashley said nothing in response to him, lost in thought. The captain backed out the room to his own cabin.