11

Despite my intense encounter with the woman in the Metro North, I was able to pull myself together and make it through my interview. It had been much longer than I had expected, taking me well into the lunch hour. I wasn‟t sure at the time if the extended length of the interview was a positive sign, or if they were trying to figure out why I had such a „deer in the headlights‟ look on my face. Thanks to the preparation given to me by my professor (as well as his recommendation), the interview went surprisingly well and in the end they offered me the position.

It was an entry level position at a moderate sized public relations firm in New Haven, but they also operated offices in other larger cities, including New York and Chicago. My position was fairly simple, mostly assistant and „go-fer‟ work. It would be long weeks with moderate pay, but they assured me that the possibility for advancement within the organization was good. If I proved myself reliable and valuable, more responsibilities would be delegated to me.

I was excited and relieved on the train ride back to campus that afternoon. But my reverie was repeatedly interrupted by the incidents of that morning. For most people, stopping a woman from jumping in front of a train would be enough of a distraction in its own. But for me, I also had the issue of the newly discovered progression of my ability, and what that may mean for me in the future.

I wondered when it had progressed to this point, or what triggered it to come out again so quickly and dramatically. Unfortunately, I had no way to answer any of the questions racing through my mind.

I decided to push my questions and worries back, at least for tonight, and to celebrate this new milestone. I was one month away from graduating university, and had just landed my first real job. Everything else could wait. Now was the time to celebrate.

I woke up the next morning feeling nauseous, my head spinning. I squinted against the light pouring into my room from the window, throwing my arm up against my face to cover my eyes. As I moved in my bed, I realized I wasn‟t alone. Turning to peer cautiously beside me, I noticed a girl with long blonde hair, with her back facing me. Her deep, even breaths indicated that she was still very much asleep.

Well, at least I seemed to have a good time last night, even if I was paying for it now.

As finals passed and May approached with graduation in tow, the excitement on campus among the senior class was at a fevered pitch.

I had invited my family to graduation, even though a small part of me hoped they wouldn‟t come. I hadn‟t seen them since Thanksgiving of my freshman year with the exception of a short meeting at my Grandmother‟s one Christmas. The conversation then had been strained, none of us really knowing what to say to each other anymore. So imagine my surprise as I stepped up on the podium to accept my degree, looked out into the crowd, and saw them sitting shoulder to shoulder with my Gran and Brian.

After the ceremony ended, families converged on the graduates with a wave of flowers, cards, congratulations and praise.

Kevin and Brian approached me first, both smiling. Surveying him quickly, I couldn‟t help but notice that he seemed different. Less dark, somehow. My assessment was broken by a hard slap on the back from Brian.

"Congrats," he said, shaking my hand. "I guess you‟re not as dumb as I thought." He stepped aside to allow my grandmother through the wall he and Kevin made.

I rolled my eyes, giving him a smirk. "I guess that‟s a good thing?"

I leaned down and hugged her as she rambled a string of praise into my ear, noticing then that her voice reminded me so much of my mother‟s.

I looked up from her shoulder to see my father standing a few steps back, watching me. He had a small smile, but I couldn‟t decide if it was proud or reluctant. Probably both.