9. Oh Brother ♔︎

Start from the beginning

"Who the hell?" Luna mumbled when she heard footsteps from the top of the stairs.

They turned around on the couch to see their little cousin walking down the steps. It's been a couple of years since they last saw him, so they both immediately got up and rushed over to the teenage boy, tackling him into a hug the second he landed on the bottom step.

"Cameronnn," both Kiara and Luna didn't care that they were squeezing him so hard he could barely breathe.

"Mi cyaan breathe," the fourteen year old gasped for air.

"I'm sorry," they both pulled away from him.

"Oh my God Cameron," Kiara was so excited to see him. "You're almost as tall as me now. What the hell?"

"And you are taller than me. when did you even get here?" Luna asked him. "Is Aunty here too?"

"Mi plane reach late last night," he answered her. "And no, it's just me dis time."

"Why mi never know you ah come visit?" Kiara asked him.

"Aunty," he nodded his head towards Chloe, who was walking towards them from the kitchen. "She said it was a surprise."

"Shit, I'm definitely surprised. How long you staying?"

"Mi here fih stay actually. Apparently mi gone start school up here suh."

"Boy, stop talking like that," Chloe walked into the living room with them.

"Sorry Aunty-"

"Nah, don't be sorry," Kiara stopped him from fully apologizing. "Yuh nuh haffi act like seh yuh need fih talk proper just cause yuh deh yah foreign now."

"Wait," Luna interrupted. "Cameron, you said you're going to school here? What happened back in Manchester? I thought you wanted to stay there?"

And she only asked because they tried to move Cameron from Jamaica to Florida multiple times to go to school when he was younger, but he never wanted to. He liked visiting during breaks from school, but he always wanted to go back home at the end of it.

"Well mi change mi- well I changed my mind."

"That's not fully the truth," Chloe sighed.

"What truth?" Both Luna and Kiara asked simultaneously.

"Cameron is here because... because..." she kept hesitating.

"Because what?" The girls said at the same time again.

"Just tell dem Aunty," Cameron encouraged her.

"Because he's actually your brother. And he's going to be living with me now that your father is officially moving out."

"I'm sorry, what?" Kiara was a bit taken aback by that statement. "What do you mean he's our brother?"

Luna was just standing there completely frozen in shock with her eyes opened wide. They both didn't even know how to process that information to even ask any questions. Because as far as they knew for the last fourteen years, Cameron is Chloe's aunt's son, making him their second cousin.

"He's your brother," Chloe just repeated. "He's my son."

"This a joke, right?" Kiara couldn't help but laugh. "Cause there's no way in hell."

"Right..." Luna whispered. "This has to be a joke. Cameron is not our brother. How would that- that's not even..." she wasn't sure what she was trying to say to even get a complete thought out.