The Gift

A little time skip

It was the day Rengoku wold be "doing something different" and I didn't know whether to be happy or scared. Nevertheless, I still went to our usual meeting place for training. I saw him standing there and I walked up to him and said, "Good morning Rengoku, what was the different thing today?" He looked at me for a minute then said, "Well I think that you should be ready for your first mission as my tsubuko! I know it's only been a few days but I think you're ready!" I stared at him shocked, "Really. Are you serious?" I asked confused. "Why of course! You are a very skilled swordsman! You should be proud!" He said cheerfully.

I was very excited for my first mission. "Actually, I have something for you!" Rengoku said. "Really? You didn't need to honestly," I said. "No I insist!" He said happily as he pulled out a beautiful haori. 

If you don't like it, feel free to change it to suit your style! :) 

I stared in awe at the beautiful haori Rengoku handed me, "Thank you so much, Rengoku!" I said giving him a hug. "Do not worry, it was no trouble at all!" he said hugging me back. "Well then, why don't you try it on?" he said smiling. I pulled it on over my uniform and it looked lovely! I was so pleased with it. "We shall set off on our mission soon! So there won't be any training for the next few days so you have a chance to get yourself all sorted out!" Rengoku told me with a wide smile.

As I was talking a walk around the butterfly garden on the search for Tanjiro and the others, I ran into Muichiro. "Hi Muichiro! I said cheerfully. He looked me up and down (not like that) and then asked, "Have you got a new haori?" "Yes, Rengoku got it for me! Isn't it lovely?" I asked. "Yes, it actually quite suits you..." Muichiro replied quietly. "I have to go on a mission soon but when I get back if you want we can go and do something... I mean if you're free." I asked nervously. "Ok," He replied calmly. "Well... I better get going now. Talk to you later!" I said and started waving. I then walked off.

I walked for a bit and then saw some beautiful flowers, "Wow!" I thought, "These flowers are so beautif-" I BUMPED INTO SOMEONE! I stumbled a bit so I couldn't see their face. "Please don't be Sanemi, please don't be Sanemi," I thought to myself. I looked up to see Mitsuri. Thank goodness it wasn't Sanemi. Thankfully Mitsuri was one of the people I wanted to befriend. "Oh I'm so sorry, I didn't see you!" Mitsuri said with a slight bow. "Oh no, It's all my fault. I should have been looking where I was going," I said bowing as well.

"Oh you're Rengoku's student. I was once his student as well but I developed flame breathing into love breathing," Mitsuri said. "Wow, that's amazing!" I replied shocked. "Here, since you're here why don't we go grab something to eat together?" She asked. "I would love that!" I replied. She then led me to her room where we had mochi and green tea. "Mmm! This is delicious!" I said wide eyed. "I know right! I love sakura mochi!" She said.

We chatted for a while and realised we had a lot in common and we became really good friends in the space of a few hours. "I had a lot of fun," I told Mitsuri as we enjoyed some more mochi and watched the sunset. "Yeah I had loads of fun too," She started, "We should do it again some time!" "Yeah I would like that." I replied

I then got up and thought I would go on a evening stroll. "Oh my word! I clean forgot about seeing Tanjiro and the others! Oh well, I shouldn't get worked up about it, sure I can go and see them some other time," I thought as I walked through the forest. 

Everything was calm and relaxing until a demon popped out of nowhere! "Oh flip! You scared the living daylights outta me! At least give me a warning first! Sheesh!" I yelled at the demon. "Oh would you shut up, you're going to make my ears bleed with that screeching voice of yours!" The demon said. I took great offence in him insulting my majestic voice but it just got worse from there, "And don't even get me started on your face, like how ugly can a person get? Oh and your hair, it's so frizzy!" I had enough! "Flame breathing, first form," I began, "Unknowing fire!" I just missed it's neck and instead I chopped off it's ear.

"Oh please leave! Your face is making want to be sick!" He began then started pretending to heave then started laughing at me. Muichiro then came out of nowhere and said, "Y/N isn't ugly. Go on Y/N, kill that demon," He said in his normal emotionless voice but even in his dead-inside tone, I knew he really meant it. For some reason I felt warm inside when he said it, something I've never felt before... Anyway I still need to defeat that demon! "Fire breathing, fifth form," I began yet again, "Flame tiger!" I yelled as I cut off the demons head. He then fell to the floor and began to disappear. "Thank you for saying that!" I said to Muichiro who just stared at me with a blank expression on his face. "It was nothing," He said.

We then walked back and decided to go to bed.

Quick Muichiro Pov

Muichiro was sitting in his room, "Rengoku bought her a haori... Maybe I should get Y/N something too," I thought, "I'll have to see in the morning.

Your POV

I was lying awake in my bed, then I heard my stomach growl. I remembered that Mitsuri said that if I was ever hungry and needed a midnight snack to just come see her. I went to Mitsuri's room and gently knocked the door, "Come in," I heard a muffled voice say so I came in and I saw Mitsuri eating mochi... Again. "You ok, Y/N?" She asked. "Yeah, I just was kinda hungry," I said. "Oh then come in, come in! There's plenty to go around!" Mitsuri said cheerfully. I came in, sat down and picked up a stick of mochi. I then told her about the demon who attacked me.

There was silence for a bit until Mitsuri said, "You know, I don't think you being hungry was the only reason you can't sleep. Come on you can tell me," Mitsuri said in a caring voice. "How did you know?" I asked. "Well for a start," she began, "You said you were hungry and you've barely touched your mochi and also you're quite quiet so I think there's something wrong. It's alright you can tell me, I won't judge." "Well it's kinda embarrassing but you know the way I told you about the demon who was rude to me," I said quietly. "Yeah," she responded. "Well something else happened. When it was calling me ugly, Muichiro came in and said I wasn't ugly and I felt all weird." I told her.

Mitsuri started grinning ear to ear. "What?" I asked. "I think you like him~ Trust me this is coming from the love hashira," she said quite loudly. I turned a crimson red, "Uh... it doesn't matter... like I barely even know him so..." I said. "True, but have you ever heard of love at first sight? It happened for me with Oba-" she began but before she could finish she stopped herself. "Obanai?" I asked, "You can tell me since I kinda told you, well you figured it out but still." "Well, yeah, I do like him." Mitsuri said with a soft smile. "Oh goodness! Look at the time! We both should be heading to bed it's quite late so I'll see you tomorrow, kay?" Mitsuri said. "Yeah I'll see you tomorrow. Goodnight," I said. "Goodnight," she replied.

I made my way back to my bed, pulled up the covers then I drifted off to sleep.